Thread: Defunct Publishers of Willis & Hollis

Thanks

Default Defunct Publishers of Willis & Hollis

Hi All,
    Does anyone know if there is any current contact with Enthusiasts Publications, Sherington, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 9PE - or their Heirs & Assigns?
    I have, over the last few years, sent several snail-mail letters to the address (as above) given in Willis & Hollis "Military Airfields . . . . ", etc. with a view to obtaining permission to use extracts from the Omnibus Edition (last reprinted Feb 1990) in a couple of articles.
    Deafening silence in reply.
    What does one do if the publishers won't (or are no longer in existence to) reply?
    I am currently putting together data/information on RAF Henley (or RAF Crazies Hill/Farm, or RAF Cockpole Green). This (or they) is/are one/some of the 'unknown' RAF Stations. A lot went on there - building Spitfires from bits made in Reading, the home of the first RAF Helicopter Sqn (unless anyone knows different!), and - not least - an RLG for Woodley's EFTS and FIS.
    RAF Henley had (according to Willis & Hollis) 5 hangars. A fair amount of covered working space in anybody's book! I am keen, therefore, to try and discover the Willis & Hollis source material.
    It is not that I have "a bee in my bonnet" over this, but it does seem strange that this small area of Berkshire appears to have "fallen through the cracks" of most aviation histories.
    Any help for any of the questions posed above will be very gratefully received.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,
    Have you tried contacting the printers? They might be able to help.
    Rgds,
    Bill.

Thanks

The Military Airfields book appears to be a direct pinch from a document held in TNA. That's not a criticism; the authors did a great service in compiling and disseminating the info. Anyway, I don't think you need worry too much about copyright! At the moment, I can't find the PRO/NA ref for it or even its title. Oh yes, and I pinched stuff out of it as well...

Thanks

Hi:

You can normally quote from the book as long as you acknowledge the source, and you don't quote more than a particular percentage of the original text. This is called fair dealing. If you are uncertain, you should contact the Copyright Council (this is what the Australian body is called, not sure what the UK equivalent is, but there will be some organisation that advises on these matters). In certain cases, you can put in a disclaimer saying that you tried to contact the copyright holders. Just put through an internet search on "copyright law UK" or something similar.