Thread: Fire extinguishers also a question on beam approach abbreviation

Thanks

Default Fire extinguishers also a question on beam approach abbreviation

Hi all

Does anyone know what WW2 RAF No. 3 and No. 5 manual fire extinguishers were designed to extinguish? EG fuel, electrical or are they general purpose and numbers relate to size? I know where they were located on a Halifax but not if they had a specific substance to extinguish.

Also does anyone know what the abbreviation OMB means? Itís relates to beam approach and from this sentence: Lower flaps 35o and Lower undercarriage on QDR at OMB. QDR = Magnetic bearing from a DF station but despite hunting I cannot find what OMB is, other than office of management and budget which obviously it is not lol.

Cheers

Thanks

Default Re: Fire extinguishers also a question on beam approach abbreviation

Just a guess, but could it be Outer Marker Beam?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
    Just a guess, but could it be Outer Marker Beam?
    Of course, Outer marker beacon. Why didn't I think of that lol. Thanks Ian, your a star

Thanks

Hi Bob
    I do not know any details about specific fire extinguisher type numbers but if you mean the hand held/hand operated 'Brass' coloured types - they could be used on any type of fire - at some risk to the Crews health as during WW2 I believe CTC (Carbon Tetrachloride) was the favoured extinguishant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Welshbob (19th February 2021)

Thanks

Thats very interesting about CTC (Carbon Tetrachloride), I will look into that more. Thanks

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Bob:

There's a 1944-dated procedural chart for BABS at Ballykelly here:

https://atchistory.wordpress.com/202...s-and-navaids/

The page contains a link to an RAFM page about BABS that includes references to the outer and inner markers.

I extracted the following from the chart:

Procedural Diagram for the Beam Approach Beacon System for RAF Ballykelly dated October 1944.The pilot followed steps 1 through 8, as documented below. On reaching step 7, he began receiving a steady stream of information from the on-board BABS operator consisting of deviation from the extended runway centreline, as indicated by the number of dots or dashes left or right on the BABS display, and the distance to the airfield. The pilot made any required lateral corrections while ensuring he was descending on the glide path as indicated by the appropriate altitude for a given distance, for example, 500 feet (152 m) at three miles (5 km).

For reasons unknown, the diagram mixes mostly statute miles (MLS) with nautical (NMLS) miles. The two references that appear to read ‘CQM’ relate to outbound and inbound magnetic headings. The meaning of the text below BK. RESPONDER BEACON that appears to read ‘CMAR. MA – L/S 30’ has not been confirmed although ‘30’ likely refers to an altitude of 3,000 feet (914 m).

1. A/C HOMES ON BK RESPONDER BEACON OR Q.D.M.s – MIN. HT 2500FT.
    2. AT 16NMLS DETUNE TO BABS – AND CONTINUE HOMING
    3. WHEN OVERHEAD TURN R/1 PORT ONTO QDR 030 [R/1 = Rate 1 or 3 degrees per second]
    4. PILOT MAINTAINS CQM030 HT 2500FT.
    5. AT 7NMLS START REDUCING HEIGHT TO 2500FT.
    6. AT 12NMLS TURN R/1 PORT TO REGAIN BEAM
    7. HT 2000FT. COMMENCE REDUCTION TO 1000FT.
    8. AT 5NMLS BEGIN APPROACH AT 500FT. PER MIN HT 1000FT. (A/S 120 KTS.)

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 19th February 2021 at 19:33. Reason: Edit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to robstitt For This Useful Post:

Welshbob (21st February 2021)

Thanks

Thank you Robert, I will go and study the link. Much appreciated