Thread: Radar Cable?

Thanks

Default Radar Cable?

Any old Radar guys out there can identify cable like this from around CH or gun sites?
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/Petmas_photo/DSCF0883.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/Petmas_photo/DSCF0884.jpg

it is lead sheathed 29mm dia, greased paper insulation around 7 cables (6 x 3 core, 1x4 core) each conductor is solid copper 1mm dia, wrapped in blue greased paper and numbered 1-3 , 1-4 Came from Newhaven beach W of the fort, could be a link to Friars Bay CH site or the guns. Pete

Thanks

Pete, Hi,
    Ian Brown (radar expert of this parish) may be able to help.
    You first move may be to enlist the aid of the GPO (now BT?) cable experts and ask them what sort of traffic the cables you describe were likely to have carried!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Pete, Hi,
    Ian Brown (radar expert of this parish) may be able to help.
    You first move may be to enlist the aid of the GPO (now BT?) cable experts and ask them what sort of traffic the cables you describe were likely to have carried!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Thanks, I have feelers out to GPO/BT past & present but it seems that most of their comms cable from that era has multi strand cores not a solid conductor and are in pairs. Ian Brown are you out there please?

Thanks

Sorry, I was away last week and have only just found your message.

Although I am no expert on historical cable, I am highly sceptical this has any connection with radar. The site you refer to at Friars Bay, which was officially called Newhaven, was not in fact CH (which would have been useless for coast defence guns anyway), but was in fact a CD/CHL radar site. This was similar to Chain Home Low as used by the RAF, but was primarily an Army radar used for plotting shipping for coast defence purposes. Whilst such stations would, and did, pass their plots to the local coast defence batteries, and would also have passed such information to the naval plotting room at South Heighton, this information would have been passed by ordinary landline.

Whilst I don't know enough about cables to say what these were used for, assuming these are not ordinary telephone cables from the wartime period, they are almost certainly not connected with any radar installation in the Newhaven area.

Thanks

Thanks Ian, It is not phone cable as these are always in pairs. We have samples of phone and power from HMS Forward at South Heighton and they are nothing like this. The transmitters for Forward were on Castle hill with land lines back to Forward could this type of cable be carrying Radio traffic? P

Thanks

I'm not quite sure I understand your message. Radio traffic by definition wouldn't be carried by cables. In any case, I don't know anything about cables to be able to say what these would have been used for. Since they're not phone cables, they weren't used for carrying radar plots and thus I can't really be of any help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
    I'm not quite sure I understand your message. Radio traffic by definition wouldn't be carried by cables. .
    To conceal the tunnels transmitted messages were sent from Heighton to Castle Hill masts by landline.