Hello RAFCommand members,

I am another new member, and am looking to investigate my father's RAF service in WWII.

After leaving Coastal Command in Europe my late father (Thomas Denis Taylor, WOp/Ag, 1060994) was posted to India, initially to ARC Karachi (18/11/42), and then to various Ferry Units (Main Ferry Crew Pool,22 Ferry Control, 9 Ferry Unit, 14 Ferry Unit).

01/03/43 Main Ferry Crew Pool (On promotion to Temporary Flight Sergeant. (Probably at RAF Mauripur, Karachi))

20/07/43 Severe Reprimand (14 days).

24/08/43 Good Conduct Badge. Presumably for 3 years service.

01/04/44 Promotion to Temporary Warrant Officer

29/07/44 22 Ferry Control Unit (Allahabad/Bamrauli)

01/09/44 No.9 Ferry Unit

1/4/45 No.14 Ferry Unit

Jagan has pointed out that the ORBs for 22FC and 9FU are available at Kew, but I am having trouble locating the ORBs for 14 Ferry Unit. Dad served as a Warrant Officer with 14FU for the full life of the unit.

From what I find out online, No 14 Ferry Unit appears to have been formed from No 9 FU's Ferry Flights at Kanchrapara and Bishnapur and the Hudson Convoy Flight at Bishnapur on 20 March 1945 under the control of No 117 Wing at Agartala, moving to Hathazari in June 1945 and disbanded into No 209 SP on 13 July 1945.

It appears to have had detachments at RAF Akyab and RAF Dabaing between March and July 1945.

Beyond that I can find very little.

If any members have copies of the ORBs for any of these Ferry Units listed above, I would love to know if there are any references to a T.D.Taylor serving as a WOp or WOp/Ag.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the 14FU ORBs, or other sources of information for this elusive unit, I would be extremely grateful.

Once lock-down is over, I can look into finding a researcher who can help me access these non-digitised records.

Many TIA,
Steve (CCHudson)