Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sgt FIIE

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt FIIE

As I alluded to in my previous posts - The FE trade took a long time to 'settle' and become established,another quote from the Association website....

Sgt. Dave Nelson left RAF Kinloss to become an Air Engineer — his training was as follows:

3 weeks – Bombing and Gunnery School, Stormy Down, S. Wales.

1 week – No. 76 Halifax course, Merlin X at Rolls-Royce, Derby.

2 weeks – Cricklewood Factory of Handley-Page Aircraft.

Squadron form up at RAF Linton-on-Ouse.

In February 1942. ‘Bomber’ Harris took over the Command. The Flight Engineers terms of reference were changed, LAC engine mechanics were now added to the source of recruitment. Flight Engineers were no longer re-mustered to aircrew permanently but expected to revert back to their basic trade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bvs View Post
    Hi Jonny
    I only worded it that way as I did not know how much operational flying he had done and when (date) he qualified as a Flight Engineer,there was sometimes a probationary period in the RAF where you could have the 'right' to wear a flying badge rescinded for a variety of reasons.
    I wasn't aware of a 'probationary period' after qualification, where the right to have your flying badge could be rescinded, so I have learned something. Thank you. However in the case of this man, who was listed in the original post as 'unfit to fly,' would probably not have lost his badge, regardless of how many ops he did or did not do.

All the best

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

I was just trying to cover all eventualities Jonny as I did not know any details of his 'ops' or experience at the time of posting.

rgds baz