Thread: Royal Canadian Air Force in UK

Thanks

Default Royal Canadian Air Force in UK

Can anybody advise if the R.C.A.F. had any major post war operational bases in the UK, in particular up to and including the late 1960s or any substantial operational connection with Royal Air Force Squadrons during this period?

Gratefull for any info.

Tony

Thanks

Tony, Hi
    No 1 Fighter Wing, RCAF, North Luffenham, Nov 51 - Mar 55
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

The RCAF retained an Air Material Base in the UK up into the early 1960s. Further info is in books at home (I'm on the road this week). Maybe another Canuck can fill in the details.

There was an RCAF/CF detachment at Scottish Aviation as late as the 1980s, handling paperwork and acceptance testing of overhauled aircraft. Types covered included Sabres, Canucks, Starfighters, T-Birds and Expediters (at least).
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 11th September 2008 at 11:01. Reason: added 2nd para

Thanks

Langar 1951-1963.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/s73.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    The RCAF retained an Air Material Base in the UK up into the early 1960s. Further info is in books at home (I'm on the road this week). Maybe another Canuck can fill in the details.

There was an RCAF/CF detachment at Scottish Aviation as late as the 1980s, handling paperwork and acceptance testing of overhauled aircraft. Types covered included Sabres, Canucks, Starfighters, T-Birds and Expediters (at least).
    Bill

Your response sounds promising as this post is a follow on from a previous post on 14 August - "Flying Officer, Marie M. Gray, RCAF" - This lady died on 3rd November 1965 and is possibly buried, certainly commemorated, on what appears to be an official RCAF headstone, on a family grave in Scotland.

My requests to official Canadian organisations have so far received no responses except the Maple Leaf Legacy who, although they have no knowledge of this lady, are investigating. I will advise them your comments above it may assist their investigation.

Will be grateful for any info you may come up with when you get back home.

Best wishes

Tony

Thanks

Tony;

Other possibilities are that this individual was on an exchange posting with the RAF, or undergoing training in the UK, or on vacation from an RCAF posting on the continent or even from Canada.

Thanks

Sorry about late responses but not getting email advice of posts.

Bill

Your previous post about Scottish Aviation gave me a lead paticularly when I discovered that they were located at Prestwick, Scotland and as F.O. Gray's hometown and the cemetery where I am now convinced she is buried are located in the Glasgow area some 30 miles or so apart.

From other info received it is suggested that she was possibly in an administrative post in the RCAF Detachment. I have another contact checking this out and also why she is not commemorated on VAC who still have not responded to my enquiry, but I am probably still way down the list.

Tony