Thread: Warwick BV530 Crash Portreath 17 April 1944

Thanks

Default Warwick BV530 Crash Portreath 17 April 1944

I am trying to confirm the identities of the three personnel working in the MT Yard at Portreath on 17th April 1944 when Warwick BV530 on take off struck another Warwick and crashed into and through the Station Motor Transport Shed and caught fire.
    I have identified two of the three as A/C 2nd Class Richard Paynter Carbines, 276 Squadron, buried in Barnoon Cemetery in St Ives, Cornwall, and Ldg A/C George Arthur White, 248 Squadron, buried in Lodge Hill Cemetery, Birmingham, but am struggling to find an identity for the third.
    I have checked 276 Sqn, 248 Sqn, and Portreath ORBs but with no joy. I have tried a CWGC search for the day and not found any likely candidates. So any suggestions welcome.

I have the details of the crew of the Warwick including F/O Gorton who died in the SSQ shortly after the crash but he is not the third. There were definitely three in the MT Yard according to both RAF and local sources.
    Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

Default Re: Warwick BV530 Crash Portreath 17 April 1944

Hello,

A possibility?

1644730 Cpl Frederick Ernest Mouncer RAFVR.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...4085/FREDERICK ERNEST MOUNCER

Col.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post

1644730 Cpl Frederick Ernest Mouncer RAFVR.

Col.
    Yes, you've got him. I have found a reference to his death being registered in Redruth so he certainly fits the bill. Thank you very much.

Thanks

Hello CorwallPhil,

My father was the pilot being trained on this accident aircraft in 1944. I have his war records about the accident but I did not know the details that you have here.

Chris

Thanks

Chris, Thank you for your post. I appreciate you getting in touch. Your father's accident was one of three incidents that day at Portreath. The following details were the culmination of the research I was able to do and the text is taken from my eBook RAF Portreath War Diary:

F/O Gorton of 276 Squadron was taking new pilots F/O T.L. McLean and F/Sgt Cant up on a dual check practice flight when Warwick BV530 swung on take off with F/O McLean at the controls and after becoming airborne struck another Warwick parked on the airfield and then crashed into and through the Station Motor Transport yard and caught fire. All the crew managed or were helped to get out. Three personnel working in the MT yard were killed and a number of motor vehicles were destroyed in the fire.

F/O Robert Gorton, aged 30, died in the Station Sick Quarters shortly afterwards. He was the husband of Joan Gorton of Crossens, Southport.
    He was buried in Duke Street Cemetery in Southport.

The rest of the crew, F/O T.L. McLean, the Canadian pilot, F/S Cant, Sgt Waugh (W/Ag) and Sgt Goode (W/Ag) were all transferred to the Royal Cornwall Infirmary suffering from injuries and serious burns.

Those killed on the ground were:
    Aircraftman 2nd Class Richard ‘Dick’ Paynter Carbines, aged 37, of 276 Squadron. He was the husband of Beatrice Carbines and the father of Vanessa from St Ives in Cornwall. Dick had lost his brother Willie on the Titanic. A/C2 Carbines is buried in Barnoon Cemetery in St Ives.

Leading Aircraftman George Arthur White, aged 42, was a Motor Transport Mechanic with 248 Squadron. L/AC White was in the MT shed when the plane struck. He was the husband of Hyacinth Winifred White and the father of a son from Selly Oak in Birmingham. He was buried in Lodge Hill Cemetery in Birmingham.

Corporal Frederick Ernest Mouncer, aged 35, of 276 Squadron, was the husband of Mary Alexander Mouncer of Denver. He was buried in St Leonard’s Churchyard in Mundford in Norfolk. His brother Sgt John Henry Mouncer of the Suffolk Regiment was killed in the Normandy Campaign on the 28th of June 1944.

WAAF Leading Aircraftwoman E. Dodds, a motor transport driver with 248 Squadron, sustained an incised wound over the middle of her forehead, abrasions of the face and shock. Fortunately, her injuries were not serious.

If you are able to add any more detail about the incident or its aftermath I'd be most interested.
    Details of the eBook can be found at philhadleypublications.com
    Last edited by CornwallPhil; 4th December 2021 at 21:09.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Likely everyone knows this but I wondered if one can view a Kindle book like Phil’s without a Kindle. Turns out one can… here’s one explanation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...dle/5103202002

Robert

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robstitt View Post
    I wondered if one can view a Kindle book like Phil’s without a Kindle. Turns out one can.

Robert
    Thanks for the helpful post Robert. Most devices these days come with a built in e-reader. If not, as you go through the purchasing process Amazon offer a free e-reader to download.