Thread: Requisitioning, and de-Requisitioning

Thanks

Default Requisitioning, and de-Requisitioning

Hello, All,
    It is quite clear that immediately after 3 Sep 39 there were small groups of RAF/Civilans touring the UK and Requsitioning Land and/or Buildings "for the War Effort". I appreciate this (we had a WAAF from the EFTS at Peterborough/Westwood billeted on us when I was nobbut a lad of 5 yrs).
    My question is:- under what regulation(s) were these Requisitions carried out, and where may the details be found today (Local Authority records seem - as far as I have been able to find - woefully inadequate). And, as a corollary, where may the details of the de-Requisitions be found?
    As many of you may be aware I am seeking to establish the detail of RAF Henley. I may have to start from Square One when one of these RAF/Civ groups looked out over Upper Culham Farm (OS NGR SU 795824) and said "Right, we'll have an airfield here for the assembly and test-flying of Spitfires". What happened then? - and by what Lawful, Legal, mechanism? One of the least problems is that Henley has suffered from various Boundary Changes in UK. It has "moved" from Berkshire to Oxfordshire (and back?) - but notwithstanding, the archives are complicated!!!
    Or, were many Govt Depts (and, indeed) the Services, running around like chickens with their heads cut off in 1939?
    I am trying to put myself back into the autumn of 1939. "Who" - as Henk so often eloquently puts it - "may help me?".
    Where do I go from here?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Guessing it was covered by good old DORA. Some records of compensation after hand back show in a search of National Archives but they seem a bit haphazard probably a question of searching each name place. Pete

Thanks

Hi Peter
    I would suggest that you should look in Parliamentary Archives at the legislation for the State of Emergency under which the war was fought and which suspended many of our Constitional rights for the duration.In effect it would be the enabling Legislation which gave authority to everything else and did not require the operation of the peacetime democratic processes to which we were accustomed. That a form of democracy still operated was a tribute to the innate integrity of most, if not all, of those who formed what was de facto a Dictatorship to fight the war.The actual implementation of whatever was done would be in government,National or Local ,hands and would also need to be looked at. As a guide see if there is anything still available on the subject of the requisitioned village of Imber which was never handed back. It might illustrate how, and under what legislation, it was taken from it's owners and give you a starting point.
    Regards
    Dick