Thread: Crew from Halifax LK-662, 429 Squadron

DonKClark Guest

Default Crew from Halifax LK-662, 429 Squadron

Hello

I have been researching two of my uncles who were killed in WWII, flying bombing missions over Germany. The first uncle, Bruce Ralph Morrison, an Air Gunner, was with 405 Squadron. I have pretty much completed obtaining information on him, and now my focus is on my second uncle. His name was Oscar Langdon Morrison, and he was the Navigator on board Halifax LK-662 (AL-Q), part of 429 Squadron. The crew were shot down over Dachwig during a raid on Leipzig. Four of the crew were able to bail out and survived, held in POW camps. The other three were killed that night (20 Feb 1944).

I have been able to find some basic information on the crew, but I'm looking for more details on the flight and the crew members. If you have any information that might assist me, I'd be most thankful. I'm hoping that one of the four surviving crew members may still be alive, or have relatives that might be wanting to exchange information etc.

Crew
    -----
    Flying Officer Leslie Bernard Fincham, RCAF
    WO2 (Navigator) Oscar Langdon Morrison, RCAF
    Sgt. (Flight Engineer) W.H. Cotterill, RAF
    Flying Officer M.F. Meech, RCAF (J/23746) - POW #3534 Camp L3
    WO2 (Air Gunner) S.L. Mingle, RCAF (R/96356) - POW #1751 Camp L6
    Sgt. (Air Gunner) L.R. Martin, RCAF (R/194826) - POW #2127 Camp L6
    Sgt. (Air Gunner) V.A. Barton, RCAF (R/181950) - POW #1702 Camp L6

thank you kindly
    Don Clark
    (e-mail: don.k.clark@gmail.com)
    Ontario, Canada

Thanks

Default PoWs RCAF

Hi Don,

I would suggest trying to find the PoW de-briefing reports. If there are copies extant they I believe that there would be copies in the National Archives in Ottawa. One of the Canadian researchers that use this board (Hugh, Floyd or Chris) would be able to point you in the right direction to find those reports which may well have details of their home addresses at that time.

Regards,

Ann

DonKClark Guest

Thanks Ann

I do have a letter from the RCAF to my grandfather that provided addresses for next of kin. I am pursuing this information now, but it would appear many have moved. At least it is a start.

Richard Koval was able to provide me a copy of Meech's (the Bomber-aimer) post PoW report of the mission, so that certainly helped fill in some important details.

thanks
    Don

Thanks

Default Linda

Hi Don,
    Have you any new info re this crew?
    as i have tried your e mail to know avail

Am in touch with Sergeant Cotterills son and would like to know more details of the crash

DonKClark Guest

Linda

I got your e-mail from my hotmail account, which is a bit unusual since I think I only posted my gmail account here. At any rate, I have gleaned more information about my uncle, and have started a web site which tributes my uncles with a lot of material I have gathered. I'll post the address to your e-mail, and would very much like to get in contact with Cotterill's son.

I have been very busy and unable to post much recently.

cheers
    Don
    mailto: Don.K.Clark@gmail.com