Thread: Sgt Pilot Ronald Gwyn George DFM (1316484)

Thanks

Default Sgt Pilot Ronald Gwyn George DFM (1316484)

We await the RAF record of my late father-in-law, and I would like to fill the waiting time with some gap-filling. Ronald Gwyn George enlisted at Oxford on Tuesday 1st April 1942. His RAF Form 1334, Certificate of Discharge also quotes this date as his ‘Date of mobilisation or embodiment’, surly he wasn’t off to training on Wednesday? I understood that having enlisted one could wait for weeks before the call up paperwork came through? Your thoughts please.

Then we understand that he crossed the Atlantic to Halifax, Nova Scotia travelled to Toronto where he was lodged, initially at the Toronto Exhibition Place and then billeted with a family before travelling on to Grosse Ile, Detroit, for initial flying training and then again on to Pensacola for more intense training and gaining his wings before returning to the UK. What is the likely timeframe for all of this?

Having gained his wings he entered his RAF service as a Sergeant, Air Crew and again his discharge cert gives his RAF Trade as Air Crew (Sgt Pilot), We know that he was within Bomber Command and that he was stationed near Lincoln, as yet we have no idea of squadron number but we understand that he only flew Lancaster’s. Does anybody have him with their family aircrew?

He was discharged from the RAF on the 11th August 1944 from No1 RAF Depot, Uxbridge, this was following a flying accident, again we have no further information at present.

Then finally, His discharge shows that he had been awarded the DFM, Air Crew (Europe) but to date we have found no published record of this. I assume that somewhere, there is a written citation for this award, can anyone guide me as to where I may find this?

This is my first posting here, I promise that any further ones will be much shorter.

Any help, guidance or information will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt Pilot Ronald Gwyn George DFM (1316484)

A bit strange as there is no record of a DFM to Ronald Gwyn George 1316484 in either the Gazette or the Fold3 register which is were I would expect to find it.

Chris

Thanks

I agree, but it states DFM on the Discharge Certificate (f)

Thanks

Would there have been enough time for him to have joined in April 42, have completed his wings course, OTU, HCU and then to have qualified for the ACE? Not to mention the DFM. Doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

Ooooops, my apologies. I read his discharge as 1943, not 1944.

Thanks

Pensacola? He looks to have been trained as a pilot by the US Naval Air Service as part of the Towers Scheme. My uncle was, too: for a timescale, he arrived No31 PD Monckton in mid-July 1942 with Draft 4496, and returned to the UK in May 1943. At this period the RAF men appear to have been mostly intended for Coastal Command, though by the time they returned things had moved on and they were often posted elsewhere after OTU and HCU (my uncle to a Special Duties squadron in the Mediterranean).

Cheers,

Pat