Thread: RAF Period Photographs

Thanks

Default RAF Period Photographs

Can anybody advise me whether there are any obvious places to start looking for period photos which might be relevant to my research into my late uncle, navigator John Prior (149 Squadron, Methwold, July-August 1944; HCU 1651 1944 and various other places). Some of you may also know of private collections that would be relevant. Clearly, there are some pictures which were officially taken during the war, and others that were taken by individuals.

I know it's a slim chance, but I'm particularly hoping there might have been group shots which included him, but would also be interested in the places and things he did, as this puts things into perspective. We have very few pictures of my uncle, we lost a lot of family photos in a flood in 1974, and others went missing recently after an elderly aunt died.

Thanks

Hi Natalie,

1. Official photos - you can check online what is available in IWM collection at http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpcgi.exe

2. Private collection - unfortunately I have no photo from 149 Sq and the same is in case of my closest friends here in Czech Republic. Hope someone from UK may help you.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Natalie,
    Try contacting 149 Squadron Association Hon Secretary The Mildenhall Register: Don Clarke MBE, 3 Foxlease, Bedford, MK41 8AP: 01234 351426 [INT SPR04] . The address comes from the 207 Sqn website which maintains a list of other associations but cannot guarantee that it is always up to date. If it is valid it could be a source of private photos
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Have mentioned this in another thread, but will also put it here: have just found a picture labelled B Flight, 2 Squadron, No 8 ITW, Newquay, October 7th 1942.

Anyone interested in a copy of this picture for an archive, or because of personal interest can get in touch with me and I will be happy to share it.

Thanks

Hi Natalie,
    I am pretty sure your uncle and my father , flight engineer Tom Rollo, were in the same flight crew.

If you do a google search on "Tommy Rollo RAF" it will fling up a website showing the crew photo which I posted in the summer this year.

Take a look and if it's your uncle I can send you other photos that include him and regale you with stories of their missions.I have photos of their regular aircraft , a Srirling. Later on they flew Lancasters as well. I have my fathers log book which details all missions and other activities.

One thing,I seem to recall your uncle was given the nickname "Pop", only because he was a little older than the guys that were new to the RAF.

The pilot was an Australian,Lindsay Woolley,nickname Hank. Towards the end of the war this crew were the lead crew,Hank becoming squadron leader.

Hope we have found your uncle for you and please get in touch.

Regards Colin Rollo

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Can anybody advise me whether there are any obvious places to start looking for period photos which might be relevant to my research into my late uncle, navigator John Prior (149 Squadron, Methwold, July-August 1944; HCU 1651 1944 and various other places). Some of you may also know of private collections that would be relevant. Clearly, there are some pictures which were officially taken during the war, and others that were taken by individuals.

I know it's a slim chance, but I'm particularly hoping there might have been group shots which included him, but would also be interested in the places and things he did, as this puts things into perspective. We have very few pictures of my uncle, we lost a lot of family photos in a flood in 1974, and others went missing recently after an elderly aunt died.

Thanks

Hi Colin, you might want to send Natalie a PM as shes not been online since oct 2011. She might not see your message.

Also, no need to ue the quote function in replying, see info sticky message on pagefront page of forum.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Colin,
    You can also click on her name to access her profile, which has an email address which might still be valid.
    Alan

Thanks

Default 149 Photos

Sadly Don Clarke is no longer with us, having died a while back. I am in possesion of his collection of 149 Sqn Photgraphs. I am alanDOTfraserATstirlingpilotDOTorgDOTuk

Luck

Aan Fraser
    149 Sqn Historian

Thanks

Hello, all. I am sorry for the delay in answering as this thread reactivated while I was away on holiday and I have only just seen it. Unfortunately, I don't think Colin's father was in the same crew, as I have the names of all the other crew members with whom he flew (and died) and they don't match. But thank you for the kind suggestion. My uncle's full name was John Adolphe Prior and the pilot was called Douglas Alan Adams, known as Alan.

Alan, I will write to you separately.

Thanks to all who drew my attention to this. 2012 has been a bad year with a lot of ill health, so not much has been happening on the research front!

Natalie