Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghouse

Thanks

Default Re: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghous

Quote Originally Posted by cyflyer1 View Post
    I have come across George Westinghouse before in my research. He was mentioned to me many years ago by a former Spitfire pilot who knew him. He was of the American Westinghouse electrical appliance family (Westinghouse refrigerators, washing machines etc). He was on Cyprus in 1944, either with 294 Sqn detachment flying Walrus Air Sea Rescue or, with 680 Sqn flying Spitfire Photo Recconaisance. Looking at the fuzzy photo of him on one of the links, it appears to be him. I have mentions of him in some correspondence filed away somewhere, and a fuzzy photo somewhere of him posing with others in the cockpit of a Walrus of 294.
    The Westinghouse with 680 Sqn was Richard Lawrence WESTINGHOUSE, also an American in the RAF I believe. I don't know if Richard and George were related. Regards Richard I don't know if he served with 294 Sqn in 1944 but his tour with 680 Sqn ended in Oct 43. He then returned to ops when he joined 682 Sqn in May 44.

Best regards

Andy Fletcher
    Last edited by Andy Fletcher; 26th June 2021 at 18:25.

Thanks

Default Re: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghous

Hello and Thankyou for that information, seems that isnít my man then unfortunately also the one you have mentioned won the DFC , Iím hoping someone will see this thread and know something about him , Iíve tried searching for information on the kings medal for the cause of freedom that he was obviously awarded but to no avail yet , but hopefully something will come to light , kind regards Nick

Thanks

Default Re: American ww2 raf pilot kings medal for the cause of freedom , George T Westinghou

Andy, I'm afraid I was correct. It is George T Westinghouse as I have said before. It was 294 Squadron ASR, and he flew the Walrus. Attached is a page from their ORB's with his name from November 1943 at Lakatamia Cyprus, they had detachments elsewhere at the same time. The 294 Sqn detachment was there from late 1943 through to 1944, you can be more accurate by going through the ORBs. I corresponded with a 680 Sqn pilot who was at the same base and they met there, and he told me of George Westinghouse.

Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: American ww2 raf pilot kings medal for the cause of freedom , George T Westinghou

Hello and Thankyou for confirming itís the man Iím looking for itís great that you have the orbs mentioning him , are they something you can easily access online ? My internet skills arenít great but would really like to get copies of them .
    Thankyou again for your help kindest regards Nick.

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

I'm not questioning that you have come across George during the course of your research. You earlier stated that he flew with either 294 Sqn or 680 Sqn and I said that the Westinghouse who served with 680 Sqn was Richard Lawrence WESTINGHOUSE and that I did not know if he, Richard, served with that 294 Sqn. I reiterate that the individual who flew with 680 Sqn was indeed Richard Lawrence "Stupes" WESTINGHOUSE (108984) DFC, his initials and service number clearly appear in the ORB. As I say Richard was posted from 680 Sqn in Oct43.

I can't see the attachment you posted but don't doubt that George served 294 Sqn and is obviously a different individual to the one who served with 680 Sqn, Richard.

What was the name of the 680 Sqn pilot you corresponded with?

Cheers

Andy

Thanks

George Thomas and Richard Lawrence were brothers according to Ancestry.

There were two versions of the King Medal in the cause of freedom
    1. The Kings Medal for Courage in the cause of Freedom
    2. The Kings Medal for Service in the cause of Freedom

The former was intended for primarily foreign military personnel and the latter for primarily foreign civillians.

I believe the photo of the ribbon on the Westinghouse uniform is for the 'Service' version a recommendation of which may be found here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C10914930

These are not available on line so will entail a trip to Kew

Chris

Thanks

You earlier stated that he flew with either 294 Sqn or 680 Sqn
    Yes, because I was working from memory, then went into ORBs of both squadrons to confirm, and it was F/O G T Westinghouse with 294 Sqn. I can't understand why the link doesn't work for you as i have tested it and it opens to an image ok. Try it again. It seems to have worked for Nick also. Its a page from 294 sqn ORBs for November 1943 at Lakatamia with F/O GT Westinghouse's name. As for 'Richard Lawrence' Westinghouse, I don't know of him at all, had not heard of him. The pilot I corresponded with was F/O Robert Lowe of 680 Sqn. I don't have all my correspondence to hand because its all in storage after moving from one country to here in UK, but there were only cursory mentions about people he met up with at the time and one was GT westinghouse, a name that stuck in my memory.

seems that isnít my man then unfortunately also the one you have mentioned won the DFC , Iím hoping someone will see this thread and know something about him , Iíve tried searching for information on the kings medal for the cause of freedom that he was obviously awarded but to no avail yet , but hopefully something will come to light
    Nick seemed dissapointed after your reply, dispite the fact that I had found the right man, so I had re-assure him and prove that it was correct. Anyway, I think he is much wiser now since his initial enquiery. He knows squadron, airplane, place, time frame.
    Nick, you need access to the National Archives or be a registered reader to download, the ORb's , and you appear not to be. Give it a few days and I'll try and download them for you if I can, as I am in the midst of doing a few other things research wise. My guess, if he was a ASR pilot flying Walrus, he was probably awarded for a rescue operation related to that.
    Andrew

Thanks

Andrew,

I am sorry if I have offended you in anyway it was not my intention, I was only trying to point out to Nick that he could discount the Westinghouse with 680 Sqn as being his man. At no time did I ever question if George Thomas served with 294 Sqn. An interesting coincidence that George Thomas and Richard Lawrence appear to be brothers as pointed out by Chris.

My interest in the thread was your mention of 680 Sqn as RAF photo recce is my main area of research. When you dig your correspondence with Lowe out of storage I would be interested to find out more about other names, dates etc relating to 680 Sqn. I haven't got much on Robert Lowe other than he was awarded a DFC and I believe was originally with the Royal Engineers before transferring to the RAF so any details on his career with the RAF would be welcome.

Best regards

Andy Fletcher

Thanks

Andy, no don't worry I didn't take it that way. I was researching squadrons that served on Cyprus for a possible future book project and Robert Lowe responded to one of my requests somewhere, I'm going back maybe 20 years or so. In correspondence he refered to people he served with and others he had met while on Lakatamia Cyprus. 680 squadron had a detachment on Cyprus, and a base elsewhere, as did 294 Squadron that had Walrus and Wellington as a detachment for ASR, with other detachments around the ME. My correspondence is in boxes in storage because I moved back to the UK years ago and am stilll slightly disorganised. Robert Lowe died many years ago, but when I find the paperwork I'll come back to you on that. There are other names he mentioned, 'Mons' Yelland is another I remember.
    Andrew

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I remember reading in the 680 Sqn ORB that the detachment moved from Nicosia to Lakatamia as the facilities were better including a longer runway. I'm amazed you can remember names from 20 years ago, I can't remember last week half the time. I look forward to anything you can add on 680 Sqn personnel.

Best regards

Andy Fletcher