Thread: The Science of Bombing: Operational Research in RAF Bomber Command by RT Wakelam

Thanks

Default The Science of Bombing: Operational Research in RAF Bomber Command by RT Wakelam

Hi All. Does anyone have a copy of this book and, if so, would they be willing to look something up in it for me please?

Thanks in advance. Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: The Science of Bombing: Operational Research in RAF Bomber Command by RT Wakelam

What are you looking for?

Thanks

Default Re: The Science of Bombing: Operational Research in RAF Bomber Command by RT Wakelam

Hi C Shackleton

I understand the book states that Dickins (who was head of BC's ORS) advocated the establishment of small fighter training flights 'like the one already in operation at the AFDU' and that AOT 'confirmed that they were already in the process of establishing more fighter detachments'. I would like to understand this situation more fully and wondered if he cites any National Archives references or other sources - or if, indeed, he says anything more on this vein. Any help you might be able to offer with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My copy on page 99 says what you have indicated and the footnote refers to “PRO AIR 14/1798 Minute 3, OIC ORS to SASO (through AOT), 27 August 1942, covering ‘Proportions of Our Aircraft Intercepted Attacked Damaged and Missing on Night Operations’ n.d. W/C Trg 1 to SASO, 28 August 1942.”