Thread: 13 Group Forward Transmitter Location?

Thanks

Default 13 Group Forward Transmitter Location?

Looking into an incident on 3 April 1940 where Flt. Lt. Norman Ryder shot down a Heinkel 111, but was himself shot down by return fire, I have found that R/T messages were relayed to Ryder from base (Catterick) via a forward transmitter referred to as 'M3'. Can anyone tell me, please, where this transmitter may have been located? The combat occured 15 miles northeast of Whitby.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,
    Logic and Common Sense (but how many times has that proved to be an error!!!) would seem to indicate Staxton, Flamborough, or Danby as good bets. However, Staxton was a Chain Home station and the radiated power from those stations was huge (300 kW has been quoted!). I don't know whether either an H/F, or VHF, rebro ground-to-air transmitter would work in the vicinity of a CH station.
    Forward Ian Brown! Where is our radar expert when we need him?!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter

Not knowing anything about radar stations or these locations, there's nothing you've said that's logical or common sense to me. It's all new, but at least these give me some leads to research further. Thanks!

Steve

Thanks

Steve,

The only such installation I know of was an R/T forward relay at Cockburnspath in December 1939. Although a CHL station was later built there, either the R/T was removed before the radar station was built, or they were on separate sites. I've certainly never come across any references to such facilities being on a radar station anywhere.

Unfortunately, I don't have a list of R/T relay stations and therefore can't say where M3 was. There will probably be details given somewhere in files at the National Archives, but can't say where in the Air Ministry or Ministry of Civil Aviation records these would appear.

Sorry I can't help directly.

Ian

Thanks

Hi Ian

Thanks for your input, which is very helpful; thank you for the suggestions and leads.

Regards
    Steve