Thread: Interest in this project

Thanks

Default Interest in this project

Is anyone actually interested in these entries ? Or is it now a case of operating in a vacuum where it's outlived it's sell by date ? I'm curious

Cheers

Jon

Thanks

Default Re: Interest in this project

I'll take that as a general no then ?

Apart from the usual few suspects, no one seems to be looking at the project of late and no one seems to be adding any entries at all. It seems a little silly to talk and write to one's self in public in effect. I can understand that data is now very hard to come by, but when something caused me to notice again the many poorly accounted RCAF entries in Canada, anyone could have looked those up off Ancestry.com and entered them on here for example.

I'll finish off the page of notes I have prepared as I've already done the work, but then I'll cease to add any more entries after that if there is little or no interest in this project anymore.

There's no petulance involved, but it does look and feel a bit daft now to me, to be talking to myself as the only person at a party !

Jon
    Last edited by jonheyworth; 8th July 2021 at 09:47.

Thanks

Jon,
    I always browse through them, but it's outside my area of direct interest, so there is little chance of me being able to add anything. I suspect the same applies to the vast majority of forum members.
    You could say the same about almost any thread - relatively few people will be able to have any input.
    I suspect though that we would all like to see this important work brought as close to conclusion as possible. If you stop and leave it to a future researcher to take it forward, so be it. You should be proud of what you have done.
    Andy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy Marden For This Useful Post:

Jagan (20th July 2021),jonheyworth (9th July 2021)

Thanks

Jon
    I read the updates most days, as I have found it very interesting to see causes of death and where. I know that sounds a bit morbid, but I think it shows that servicemen and women were not just dying due to war activity.
    Kind Regards
    Andy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyBaldEagle For This Useful Post:

jonheyworth (20th July 2021)

Thanks

Jon yes I look at the updates every few days please continue - I add when I feel I have something to contribute - Well done for your efforts so far and for future researchers your efforts will be thanked! Paul

Thanks

I think anyone can search those data from Ancestry.com and import them

Thanks

HI Jon

your updates are vital as they are in a format that gets picked up by the casualty search engine, I used to be a prolific poster on this project but life and kids got in the way.

Keep at it, it all gets sucked up by the database search function which is the final point of it.

I was always in the habit of posting updates to the original thread so that casual searchers or readers would find the posts and add them to the context. Your long thread of updates doesn't lend itself to reading in itself as its missing the context of the daily thread.

But keep at it.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    I was always in the habit of posting updates to the original thread so that casual searchers or readers would find the posts and add them to the context. Your long thread of updates doesn't lend itself to reading in itself as its missing the context of the daily thread. .
    This is being addressed . not many would notice but the Unaccounted thread by Jon had had over 2000 posts by him. The posts are being moved to the "Daily threads" in the background.. at the same time the data is being processed into the database.

Thanks

Jon,
    I'd like to add my support for you continuing with your Unaccounted posts.

While daily post reads may well be low or nil, as Jagan, Dennis and others have remarked, overall you are contributing valuable data for future ref/lookups of the gone yet not forgotten.

Like Jeff Jefford has said, of his own wonderfully useful RAF Squadrons compendium: "for reference, not for reading"!

And as my old mate Abbie said many a time over years past: "Keep er goin Bor!"

Ah, Abbie, old lad: East Anglian to the last and remembered still. LAC LW "Abbie" Abbs RAF 1920-2014.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 4th August 2021 at 04:01.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Jon

Definitely keep them coming, please!

I've found a few of my unaccounted local airmen in your posts, so thank you for your efforts.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England