Thread: James Whiteford MURRAY 740164 (later 84977)

Thanks

Default James Whiteford MURRAY 740164 (later 84977)

Hi all, may I enlist your help again please? I'm trying to find out about this chap, whom I believe completed two tours of bomber operations, then served at the AFDU during 1942, before volunteering for a third tour with the Pathfinders - possibly flying Mosquitoes towards the end of the war. Any pointers much appreciated, as always. Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: Squadron Leader 'Jock' Murray DFM+Bar, DFC, DSO

Michael Maton lists no "Murray" with this particular series of awards - the closest (and the only one with a DSO) would be be Thomas Charles Murray (DFC, 30 July 1940, No.207 Squadron; Bar to DFC, 11 August 1942, No.207 Squadron; DSO, 21 September 1945, No.138 Squadron.)

Thanks

Thanks Hugh, but I don't think this is the guy...... My source is an article by Len Thorne (author of 'A Most Unusual War') in which he describes Murray as "a rangy Scottish Sqdn. Ldr. (sic) .... who had survived his first ‘tour’ as a Sgt. Pilot, being awarded a DFC (sic) and bar, a second tour as an officer, rapidly rising to the rank of Sqdn. Ldr. With the award of a DFC and, I believe, a DSO, (or perhaps that came later). He was a real ’press on’ type, who later volunteered for a third tour on Pathfinder Lancasters and ended up flying Mosquitoes in the same capacity”. However, I've since discovered and article written by his son, Jim, which calls him 'Jack'. So, as he was a Scot, I'm guessing that he may have been called 'Jack' and/or 'Jock' - or both. He clearly wouldn't have got the DFC and bar as a Sgt. so I'm again guessing that these awards were DFM's and, again, in his book, Thorne refers to him as Fl/Lt Murray DFC, DFM, so it does appear that his memory may have been (understandably) imprecise....... Thanks again.

Andrew

Thanks

James Whiteford MURRAY 740164 later 84977 DFC* DFM served with 51, 35, and 21 Squadrons

No DSO but could be your man

Chris

Thanks

Hello,

You might care to read/download a copy of the biography of W/C Thomas 'Thos' Charles Murray DSO, DFC*.

https://vdocument.in/suitcases-vultu...nd-norway.html

Woeful editing (if it has been edited at all) but it's free!

Col.

Thanks

Hi Chris & Col and thanks to both of you. While the download Col recommended is fascinating, I actually think you're right Chris and I will certainly try to follow up this lead. I really appreciate the time both of you have spent on this. Cheers.

Andrew

Thanks

So, on looking into this further, I think 'my man' is James Whiteford MURRAY (740164, later 84977). It appears that he was posted to No.11 OTU on 4th November 1941, so I'm guessing that he was there as an instructor and am wondering if he was posted from there to the AFDU and, if so, when. So, if there is anyone out there who might have any information about that unit between November 1941 and May 1942 and can help, I'd be very grateful if they can help me......... Cheers and thanks again.

Andrew