Thread: RAF Station Saltby ORB 1945/1946

Thanks

Default RAF Station Saltby ORB 1945/1946

Hi,

Would any kind person happen to have a copy of the Station ORB for RAF Saltby (I believe it might be AIR 28/679) that I could have a look through? I am interested in the period between about Feb 1945 and June 1946 in trying to understand operational events that took place and the squadrons based there at that time. Asking as I'm not sure when I will be able to get to TNA in the near future. Thanks.

Richard

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Station Saltby ORB 1945/1946

Richard, Hi,

Below is a para from the 38 Grp WW2 AAR written by the S Met O Wg Cdr Lew Jacobs. It may either be of use in yr researches, or cause more difficulties? From experience, I would put money on the latter!!!

On 20 - 26 Mar 45, No 42 OTU component at Ashbourne moved to Tilstock and was absorbed in 81 OTU (Darley Moor was closed on 24 Feb 45), while the meteorological office staff at Ashbourne moved with the Headquarters staff at Ashbourne to Saltby , (a station evacuated by the USAAF) where they were joined by No 1665 Heavy Conversion Unit (HCU) from Tilstock. The work of the HCU, previously done at Tilstock - see below - was carried out at Saltby till the end of the war. (For forecasting - in the absence of the independent forecaster, came under 7 Group or 5 Group, the latter chiefly at night time).

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Station Saltby ORB 1945/1946

Hi Peter,
    Thank you very much. That explanation seems to match up with the records of my uncle that I am researching, but his records don't mention 81 OTU. He moved from 42 OTU to Saltby on 20 Mar 1945 and appears to have been in 1665 HCU from 7 May 1945 and then onto ORTU Matching in July that year. His record at 1665 HCU says 'P)No.41 ??? A/B' (the ??? means some characters I can't decipher as yet) which I take to be Training Course 41 after looking at the 1665 ORB but he is not named. I have not yet been able to find any course member lists which would be useful. His logbook has never been found which is also frustrating but possibly not unsurprising.
    Thanks again and the information is much appreciated.
    Richard