Thread: S/L Roger Dennistoun "Dennis" Poore 76221

Thanks

Default S/L Roger Dennistoun "Dennis" Poore 76221

Gents
    Does anyone know anything about RAF career of S/L (some claim W/C but I do not find it) Roger Dennistoun "Dennis" Poore 76221? He served with Technical Branch throughout the war.
    TIA
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Default Re: S/L Roger Dennistoun "Dennis" Poore 76221

Hi Franek,

"During the war Poore had worked in the Ministry of Aircraft Production, ending the war as a Wing Commander with the RAF." (True or legend?)

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/dodge_research.htm

Regards

Mojmir

Thanks

Might have been A/Wg Cdr - which is not Gazetted.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello

He's mentioned in a couple of newspaper articles in September 1945 with regards to a court case involving the exporting of an amount of currency by a French airmen based at Bovington, in which he accused of having passed the money to the Frenchman. He is described as 'Wing Commander Roger Denniston [sic] Poore' and an employee of the Ministry of Aircraft Production.

The case was dismissed, and he left the court with 'the same excellent character as that with which he entered it.'

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Hello (all sleuths!)
    Roger Dennistoun Poore was also involved in a company called NICOLEX LTD. This company was wound up on 11 Jan 1968 (https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...44505/page/642).
    Poore was the Director of the company. He was also the official Liquidator. Now my knowledge of company law is extremely minimal, but the Director and the Liquidator being the same person at a winding-up seems very strange?
    I do not know what NICOLEX Ltd actually did, but Simon’s post alerted me. Currently there are a number of companies using the NICOLEX name. They mostly seem to be based in Cyprus. Does the name NICOLEX derive from NICOsia EXchange? Was it involved in currency exchange facilities? Poore was involved – at one stage, according to Simon – in a court case which centred on alleged illegal currency activities.
    I simply wondered if there was any connection between his war-time functions and his subsequent post-war activities? Did he do a tour in Cyprus – for example?
    Just a thought!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Gents for the replies. It may have been an Acting rank indeed. I have not seen anything on his wartime service, but that general information of the RAF, which I find weird. I would expect more information about such a well known person.
    Simon, could you post a sample article, please? It is most interesting.
    Peter, this is an interesting observation. I understand that his technical background led to involvement in motor racing. I know that few teams were involved in smuggling, but I have not seen Poore's name in the context. Then I have found an information on his involvement in Transavia Dutch airlines, but again I have it not confirmed. Looks a bit elusive, heh?
    Best wishes
    Franek

Thanks

Franek

Here's an article from the Birmingham Evening Post of September 7th 1945:

ALLEGED CURRENCY SMUGGLING
    Case Fails Against Wing Commander
    An alleged arrangement for sovereigns, half sovereigns and Fench 5,000-franc notes, to be sent by air to France in exchange for 1,000-franc notes, was the subject of proceedings which came before the Clerkenwell (London) magistrate to-day.
    W./Comdr. Rogert Denniston [sic] Poore appeared on summonses under the Defence (Finance) Regulations which had been adjourned from Bow Street. He pleaded not guilty to delivering to Andre Marcel Rousseau, a Frenchman attached to the U.S. Air Force at Bevington [sic] Air Station, 26 French 5,000-franc notes, 80 gold sovereigns and 780 gold half-sovereigns, so that the currency should be sent out of the United Kingdom.
    He pleaded not guilty to summonses for failing to offer this money to the Treasury.
    In the witness box poore said he was an engineer employed by the Ministray of Aircraft Production.
    Mr. John Flowers, K.C. (defending): did you ever hand Rousseau at Bovington, or anywhere else, either gold or francs to be sent to France? – Certainly not.
    Mr. Powell, the magistrate, said there was no corroboration of the evidence given by Rousseau, who was obviously an undesirable character, whereas defendant was a man of good character. The summonses would be dismissed.
    As the defendant had made no claim to the money it would presumably remain in the possession of the Treasury. W/Cdr. Poore left the court with the same excellent character as that which with which he entered it.

He's also mentioned in a couple of other stories. From the West London Observer, December 23rd 1955:

PETTY CASH DEFICIENCY
    For what the magistrate (Mr. K. J. P. Barraclough) descibed as "feathering your own nest and spending money you had not got,"a 42-year-old accounts clerk, John Miller, of Kenilworth Road, Ealing, was a West London sentenced to three months' imprisonment.
    The clerk was charged with stealing 226 8s. 3d. belonging to Roger Dennistown [sic] Poore, a business consultant, of Rutland Gate*, Kensington, by whom he was employed.

* one of the smart addresses in London, just off Hyde Park.

And from the Hull Daily Mail, October 17th 1936:

UNDERGRADUATE ACQUITTED
    Road Fatailty Charges Fail
    Roger Dennistoun Poore, a 20-years-old undergraduate of King's College, Cambridge, found not guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of dangerous driving.
    The case resulted from a motor accident in which a domestic servant, Rosina Elizabeth Wright, 19, was killed while she was cycling from her home in the Quy-road [with] her brother on July 22.

The articles records that his car struck the girl as she pulled out from a side road, and it was recorded that she had made an error of judgement which resulted in her death.

There is an obituary for Poore here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...y-dennis-poore

And a wiki entry here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Poore

I didn't realsie he was that Dennis Poore...!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon
    Many thanks! Most interesting. I wonder what was the reason of importing 1,000 FF notes into the UK.
    Now I need to find that Rousseau and if he was related to Claude Rousseau of Roussuau Aviation.
    Digging in the past you can come across many interesting names. Quite recently I have stepped on Duke of Edinburgh.
    Best wishes
    Franek

Thanks

Franek

Sorry, my mistake - the article actually says "Rosseau" not Rousseau but I think it could be a typo by the newspaper.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 19th July 2021 at 16:17.

Thanks

Simon
    Actually it might be not, I find Andre Rosseau a TWA flight control agent in Paris in 1950. There was also a racing driver Andre Rousseau, but there is no information on his whereabouts.
    Thanks!
    Franek