Thread: William STOVES D.F.C. (U.S.)

Thanks

Default William STOVES D.F.C. (U.S.)

Hello everyone

I came across an article in the Blyth News & Ashington Post of Monday February 8th 1943 about a F/Sgt 'Smokey' Stoves:

"Smokey" Stoves Air Pilot
    Flight Sergt Stoves - 'Smokey" Stoves to his friends - is an old hand on convoy protection. He joined the R.A.F. in 1936 and immediately volunteered for overseas service.
    In Palestine he drove an armoured car and guarded phosphate cpnvoys.
    "Smokey," however, aspired to higher things. In Egypt he remustered as an air gunner, and the war found him flying in Blenheim Squadron.
    "We were sent to Greece," he said, "where we had a lot of excitement right away. Unluckily, tonsilitis sent me to hospital. By the time I got out the fun was all over."
    Flight-Sergt. Stoves then decided he would like to be a pilot. "A rear turret is no place for a chap who wants to look foward," he grinned. He was sent to a training school in South Africa, where he eventually gained his wings.
    "I was given the opportunity to fly a Coastal Command Liberator, protecting convoys," said Stoves, "and jumped at it. Liberators are great aircraft."
    He engaged in patrols over the Bay of Biscay, and is now captain of an aircraft operating from Iceland. "We're going to make these cold waters as hot for Jerry as we've made the Bay," he concluded.
    Flight-Sergt. Stoves is 26, and comes from Trimdon, Durham.

The article was repeated in a couple of other local newspapers.

I believe this is 537330 William Stoves, commissioned in June 1943 (52663), and later the recipient of the U.S. Distinguished Flying Cross in 1946. He served with 211 Sqn (http://www.211squadron.org/1941.html) and then went to 120 Sqn and then 547 Sqn to fly Liberators.

I wondered if anyone has come across him before? Are there citations for U.S. D.F.C.s?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: William STOVES D.F.C. (U.S.)

I remember seeing recommendations for US DFC's in Air 2 at TNA donkeys years back, in fact I obtained a copy of one for Bryan Bell (formerly W/Cdr and CO of 550 Sqdn). Sadly his recommendation was not approved for some reason.
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

STOVES, William, F/O (52663, Royal Air Force) - No.547 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross (United States) - awarded as per London Gazette dated 14 June 1946. Home in Country Durham. Public Record Office Air 2/9114 has citation drafted when he had flown 175 sorties and 2,060 hours.

This officer completed a tour of operational duty as air gunner in the Middle East theatre of operations before joining his present squadron in September 1944. As pilot and captain of aircraft he has participated in many highly successful operations during which he has displayed keenness and dash, qualities which have inspired all members of his squadron.

Thanks

Brilliant Hugh, many thanks indeed.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England