Thread: 12 ASRMCU [Tayport] June 1943

Thanks

Default 12 ASRMCU [Tayport] June 1943

Hi Everyone,
    I'm restarting a research project on 12 ASRMU based at Tayport [Fife] I have the file AIR29/442/4 which covers this unit from 1943-1946. My main interest is for June 1943, unfortunately this file only starts on the 1st July 1943.
    I cannot find anything for 12 ASRMU on The National Archives site for June 1943, despite searching their Discovery catalogue. So, were they based there prior to July 1943 ? I do think there was some sort of presence at Tayport, as i have evidence from another source, coming from 297 Sqn pilot records, although 12 ASRMU are not mentioned by name, only '' I attempted to contact by R/T a rescue launch moored at TAYPORT HARBOUR, but it did not reply''

The first log entry for 12 ASRMU for the 1st July does not give any indication that they had just arrived to this location, its only mundane entries about boat serviceability etc, which makes me think they were there in June 1943? only problem is that I cannot find anything on this unit anywhere, for the month of June 1943....

if anyone can help with this one ? I would be most grateful indeed for any snippet of information relating to 12 ASRMU.

Thank you in anticipation

David

Thanks

Default Re: 12 ASRMCU [Tayport] June 1943

David,

I can't offer much assistance, however, I do have the service record of a (MBC) SNCO who was posted to 12 ASRMCU on 21 Sep 42. Interestingly, it appears that the parent unit was Leuchars.

Rgds

Jonny