Thread: FN64 ventral turret installation in the Mitchell II - any refs/drawings?

Thanks

Default FN64 ventral turret installation in the Mitchell II - any refs/drawings?

Hello

I'm currently building the recent Airfix 1/72 Mitchell II as one of 180 Squadron's aircraft, and the one in question had the FN64 turret installed. There's a thread on the Flypast Forum here about the conversions:

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-...-a-f-mitchells

I wondered if anyone had come across any detailed close-up photos or drawings of the installation?

On another tack I have the Form 78 for the Mitchell, and it went to 12 M.U. for just over three weeks after arrival in the UK. This was in Scotland, is that right? Would the conversion work have been done there?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: FN64 ventral turret installation in the Mitchell II - any refs/drawings?

Hi Simon,
    In British Aircraft Armament volume 1 published by PSL there is an Air Ministry Manual drawing of the FN64 installation in the Lancaster if that's of use; very little of the turret showed outside the fuselage.
    Will copy if you need just message me e mail.

And yes, 12 MU was at Kirkbride.

Peter

Thanks

Default Re: FN64 ventral turret installation in the Mitchell II - any refs/drawings?

Sturtivant says: 12 MU Formed 5 Jun 1939 as civilian manned aircraft storage unit at KIRKBRIDE. Disbanded 30 Jun 1960. Was in 41 Grp. 7 miles east of Silloth.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter, and Peter

Many thanks for the replies. I do have the PSL book, which has proved very useful over the years. The entry in there is very helpful, but I was more interested in how the turret was fitted to the Mitchell.

So it doesn't look like 12 M.U. did the work, then?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Simon,
    Possible that the staff at an "Aircraft Storage Unit" could turn their hands to a bit of modification 'metal bashing' if the need arose? And - for the purists - Kirkbride is just on the south side of the border, Thus, just in England!! Can't be too careful!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!