Thread: Four brothers serving in the RCAF

Thanks

Default Four brothers serving in the RCAF

Hi all, I would like to ask if there is any book or another source available dedicated to the subject of "brothers in the RCAF" does not matter if flying personnel only or mixture with the ground staff. I suppose it was quite common in case of two or three brothers, but what about four or more brothers? Was this common or not? Any pacticular examples?

I will be glad for any comments, suggestions etc.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Re: Four brothers serving in the RCAF

Thanks

The following was published February 2013 in "Observair", newsletter of the Ottawa Chapter, Canadian Aviation Historical Society:

Published in OBSERVAIR, February 2013

It has been said that newspapers are the first draft of history. In that case, the press release might be considered as preliminary notes. Of course they are invariably produced by an organization (governmental or otherwise) with a story to tell, facts to conceal, axes to grind, or causes to mount. That does not prevent us from dipping into them for insights and fresh messages.

The Directorate of History and Heritage has roughly twelve feet of shelf space occupied by RCAF press releases from 1942 to 1965. They are catalogued as items 79/454 and 79/454. There is no index. If one goes into the boxes, looking for something specific (such as all releases involving Norseman aircraft), one will probably lose patience before going through all the papers. Lately, I have been looking through them on what might be called “fishing expeditions”, searching for inspiration, ideas and facts to sustain the articles that I write for Legion Magazine.

Along the way I have found a variety of stories that have not necessarily made it into print. One is the story of the Deutscher brothers. The beginning was Press Release 1708 dated 24 May 1943. It reported on letters that had been sent by Air Minister Charles G. Power and the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Lloyd Breadner, to Mr. and Mrs. R.F. Deutscher of Odessa, Saskatchewan. They were described as having come to Canada some 40 years earlier from central Europe. They had been cited in the House of Commons as being “Canadians in the fullest and truest sense of that description.” They were about to be honoured at a joint civic and RCAF history in Moose Jaw, and to be featured on a national radio program.

The Deutscher family had eight sons in the RCAF.

I have read many RCAF files of wartime personnel including more than a few which involved two or more brothers killed in action. One loss in the family brought a letter of condolences from Canadian officials; two such losses generated a letter from the King. For the most part, parents appeared to have reacted with stoicism, although at least one dossier included a letter from a father, bitterly upbraiding the air force for not removing one son from operations after two others had been killed.

It was therefore with some trepidation as well as interest that I checked further into the Deutscher story. To my surprise and delight, I discovered that all had survived the war, notwithstanding that three had served overseas as aircrew. I was subsequently able to identify them as follows (listed here by sequence of birth):

Rudolph Joseph Deutscher - date of birth not readily available. Enlisted in Regina, 31 October 1941 and served as a Link Trainer instructor until demobilized, 6 March 1945.

Harvey Frederick Deutscher - born 28 June 1912. Enlisted in Winnipeg, 22 October 1941. Served overseas as a Navigator, 27 October 1942 to 23 May 1944 and with Northwest Air Command on return to Canada; demobilized 15 April 1946.

Michael Stanley Deutscher - Born 17 July 1914. Enlisted in Saskatoon, 20 June 1942. Served overseas as a Navigator, 20 August 1943 to 27 November 1944. Demobilized 20 February 1945. Website browsing revealed he served in No.44 Squadron, Bomber Command, and had died in Humboldt, Saskatchewan, 16 November 1987.

Anton Francis Deutscher - Born 24 February 1916. Enlisted in Saskatoon, 14 July 1940. Served in Canada as a Link Trainer Instructor; attained rank of Sergeant; released 11 May 1945.

Albert Ernest Deutscher - Born 30 May 1918. Enlisted in Regina, 23 August 1940. Trained as a Wireless Operator/Air Gunner; served overseas from 1 October 1941 to 2 August 1945; attained rank of Flight Lieutenant; released 9 October 1945. Website browsing turned up the fact that he had died in Regina, 13 June 2005.

Adam Joannes Deutscher - Born 11 June 1920. Enlisted in Regina as an Airframe Mechanic, 30 July 1940. Served overseas, 9 February 1942 to 7 September 1943 and at Canadian units upon repatriation. Released 31 August 1945.

Joseph Charles Deutscher - Born 1 November 1922. Enlisted in Regina, 2 May 1941; completed two tours as a Bomb Aimer and awarded Distinguished Flying Cross; demobilized as a Flight Lieutenant, 2 October 1945. He became a priest after the war. Died in Regina, 24 March 2000.

John Leon Deutscher - Born 17 January 1924. Enlisted in Regina, 2 November 1942 as Airframe Mechanic. Served in Canada with Nos.160 and 121 Squadrons. Retired 10 October 1945.

Mr. and Mrs. Deutscher had raised 13 children. The presence of eight sons in the RCAF was unusual, if not unique, and the fact that all survived was a happy conclusion to their story.

Thanks

Sioux Lookout, Ontario had 4 Cole brothers serving in the Royal Canadian Airforce, 2 were killed in action.
    richard.k

Thanks

Hi all, thank you for your replies, especially the one from Hugh is very interesting.
    So my conclusion is that four brothers serving in the RCAF was lets say not so common, but it was also nothing rare at the same time .

Many thanks

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz