Thread: Searching Canada Gazette

Thanks

Default Searching Canada Gazette

It seems to me that Library and Archives Canada has changed the search facility for archived Canada Gazettes.

It would also seem to be to be even less accurate than it was before.

I find it a right faff just to get to the search page then the results are shown as an entire edition with no guide as to which page the information is actually on.

Has anyone found any workarounds or shortcuts to make what was already a difficult task before the change to a slightly easier one.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks

Default Re: Searching Canada Gazette

Chris I have recently the same bad experience:-(
    Hopefully our forum expert for Canada Gazette - Mojmir - will be able to give us any hints?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

You are too kind, Pavel. But I agree with both of you - the change is a step backwards.
    Tips for searching promise to use of an asterisk, the reality is different. It does not work.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/search...arch-help.aspx

Library and Archives Canada did not make me happy. They probably didn't please anyone. A researcher with no experience is lost here…

Regards

Mojmir

Thanks

Thank you Mojmir, I was afraid you have the same experience. It seems to me the new search engine has been developed by someone who never made a research!
    I have searched the results list if there is any info pn which page the result is - nothing. When you download the whole Issue and search on your PC/NB you will also not get the requested result. So it is a backlog from my point of view and I have to say normal search in the CG is now impossible:(

I have already written them a question how to get the same results with the new search negine as with the old one and I am really looking forward to their reply (even I am expecting it will be useles).
    I will post here the reply when (if) I will get any.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi all, I have got a reply and am copy-pasting here in full.

Thank you for contacting Library and Archives Canada. Your question was transferred to the Collection Search team.

The recent migration of the Canada Gazette into Collection Search had to happen fast because the old database was outdated which caused the online images to stop working. For programming and product limitation reasons, we were unable to simply transfer the pagination data in Collection Search. However, we are aware of the significant inconvenience of Collection Search producing entire issues as search results with no indication of page number.

LAC is taking an iterative approach towards its online products, such as Collection Search, and we are actively working on providing a better experience for clients. The Canada Gazette will be one of the first database that will benefit from our improvements. Staff already began the pagination project which will reinstate the page number(s). Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any time frame, but this important adjustment will also accompany other improvements such as better Optical character recognition (OCR technology) and a search window directly accessible from the Canada Gazette help page: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...a-gazette.aspx.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.

So I would say we have to wait and pray:-(

Pavel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CZ_RAF For This Useful Post:

vrajm (4th August 2021)

Thanks

Thanks to all those who have "poked a sharp stick" into the Canada Gazette. Improvement(s) is(are) promised. The proof of the pudding is in the eating!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!