Thread: Alfie; i dont know his last name, but have a picture.

Thanks

Default Alfie; i dont know his last name, but have a picture.

i am trying to find out if he is still alive; i spent time with him and his family in 1946, as a undernourished kid from the netherlands; i've lost contact with him since, but i know he flew mosquito's in birma.
    please let me know if you can help me with this search.

Last edited by Jagan; 1st August 2021 at 17:31.

Thanks

Default Re: Alfie; i dont know his last name, but have a picture.

HI the photo URL did not attach correctly so i removed. i have sent you an email. feel free to send the image and i can attach it here.
    \

Thanks

Does the arm patch say "XXX XXXX Corps" 261 Squadron? thats a clue.

Thanks

Air Training Corps, I'd say.

261 Sqn A.T.C. is now at Guildford, but where was it in the early 1940s...?

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

A difficult one ...

It may help to know, for example,
    the town (even if not address),
    the period in 1946 (which months, eg not necessarily exact dates) and
    any other family members first names

May help...
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Addnl points

Agree with Jagan & WWRS re ATC. The shoulder patch/title is consistent with wartime Air Training Corps examples here
    http://britairforce.com/atc_1.htm
    The Air Training Corps was instituted under that title in Feb 1941 (out of the 1938-1941 Air Defence Cadet Corps).
    The image of Alfie as an ATC youth must therefore date from 1941...or perhaps as late as 1942.

Questions arising:
    Is there any writing/stamp or marking on the rear of the photo?
    Is there any firm information to confirm/explain Alfie (OPs post) vs image file name Alfred?

Someone here may have wartime history of 261 Sqn ATC.
    Alternatively, contacting the current 261 (Guildford) Squadron Air Cadets may help:
    By post
    Stocton Close
    Guildford
    Surrey
    GU1 1HR

t: 01483 567548 (Tue & Fri eve 19:00 - 21:30)
    w: http://www.guildfordaircadets.org/
    Contact form: https://www.air-cadets-squadron-find...ning-corps-atc
    Fb: https://www.facebook.com/261guildfordatc

In order to be a pilot or navigator on Mosquitoes in India & Burma, he'd likely have joined the RAFVR in 1941 or perhaps more likely 1942, but possibly as late as 1943, to likely complete his pilot or nav training in 1944 for posting to a CBI theatre Sqn perhaps in 1944 or 1945.

Further question:
    "flew Mosquito's in Birma"... as Pilot? or Navigator?
    The difference may help.

While some Mosquitoes were reaching RAF Squadrons in India from early 1943 into early 1944, broadly speaking it was late 1944 before some number of Sqns were equipped and operational, and there were Beaufighter units converting to the Mosquito FBVI as late as May 1945. While Mosquito ops over Burma were being mounted from India in 1944 it was May 1945 before Rangoon was liberated, with RAF Squadrons deployed to Mingaladon. Others here may well know more.

In any event as my post above and these addnl remarks & questions suggest, any more info at all from caseylenshoek may be of help.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 3rd August 2021 at 00:25.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Unfortunate that to date caseylenshoek as thread starter has been unable for whatever reason to return, unless he's viewed the thread without logging on.

So there's no more info to go on.

Another curious feature of this case is that, as a returned RAF serviceman in 1946, Alfie (Alfred? Not certain) offered only a photo of himself as an ATC teenager, not as an adult - which would hardly have been difficult.

In case caseylenshoek might lose sight of his post, as it moves to page two, excuse me adding a third post of my own..
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Default Concluding comments

On the scant date etc info variously incl/hinted, the original poster is in his late 80s.
    For whatever reason, he has not replied to the thread, nor does he react to polite email request to return.

I trust that he remains well and that perhaps one day he or his family may yet return to this thread, which for now at least seems to be at an end.

There were a number of RAF Squadrons flying the DH Mosquito in the India/Burma theatre. How many of the pilots may have been known as "Alfie", or some other firstname but nicknamed "Alfie", cannot say. Whether any were in fact named Alfred (if correct), cannot say and even a minute review of all relevant Squadron Operations Record Books at TNA is highly unlikely to find out.

And that's all assuming the 1946 UK host had been a pilot and not a navigator.

I'd not have pursued this thread at all if it weren't for the fact that I had a possible match (on two grounds, one firm, the other less so).
    On the other hand there is a single added detail which, if correct, firmly casts out my one "possible".

Without at least some reply to some of the points raised above, out of respect for possible surviving family & their privacy all I'm able to say is that my one possible match died a good many years ago.

With good will and good wishes I bid you farewell.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 20th August 2021 at 22:54.
    Toujours propos