Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1180s from Hendon

Thanks

Default Re: 1180s from Hendon

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. The 1180s I need are all training units so not online. I have sent a reminder a couple of weeks ago to Hendon but just got the auto-reply again. Here`s the cards I asked for in case anyone has them and can help. I don`t need crew the names thanks, I already have them . With the exception of the Lysander with no serial so any details there would be a help. Thanks.

Lysander T1585 8 A.G.S. Crashed near Dornoch, Ross & Cromarty. 28/01/1943.

Lysander T1521 8 A.G.S. Crashed near Nigg, Ross & Cromarty. 26/03/1943.

Sunderland W6010. 4 ( C ) O.T.U. Crashed Allerton Farm, Ross & Cromarty. 27/07/1944 or 28/07/1944.

Spitfire MD109 2 A.G.S. Crashed near Cape Wrath, Sutherland. 20/04/1945.

Lysander (Serial N/K) Possibly 2 A.G.S? Crashed at Newport, Berriedale, Caithness. 07/03/1946.

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Hi Dave. Can supply 2 Lysanders from 43, on same roll as Lancasters.
    Richard

Thanks

Dave. There are a 1 more 8 AGS Lysander accident cards and a few from other AGS units.
    Richard

Thanks

Thanks Richard. I received those 2 Lysander cards from you. Any others that came down in the Scottish Highlands would be of course be interest. Regards Dave.

Thanks

Further to my Post #4 above, on my request of 17 March.

This afternoon requested again by email, again to the askcollections address (as in Mar - but without response).

The result today was an immediate automated reply from that address, the date details of which may well be of interest to members with pending requests...

"Thank you for your enquiry.

With the RAF Museum having reopened to the public we will be aiming to answer enquiries received after 17 May 2021 in the usual 20 working days.

The team will also be continuing to work through enquiries received before the 17 May until 18 June but the priority will be on those received after 17 May.

If you do not receive an answer to an email you submitted prior to May 17 by 18 June it would be advisable to resubmit your enquiry.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please bear with us as we re-establish the enquiry service."

Also for info, the email addr is as one of the RAF Museum links suggested.
    Further poking about found another link which addnly suggested to incl your postal address.
    There is also an online pro-forma but I decided against that...
    Last edited by Don Clark; 4th August 2021 at 06:15.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Hi Don,

May be able to help with F1180 for your Blenheim.

What serial and accident date?

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross_McNeill For This Useful Post:

Don Clark (4th August 2021)

Thanks

Further to my RAF Museum enquiry (#4 above) and Ross's kind offer, Ross and the Museum staff found the same thing:
    No AM Form 1180 (not unusual for the Far East theatre & in the darkest period).

For the AM Form 78, the card exists but (again, as common for O'seas Cmds) with v sparse entries, though broadly consistent with what records I have found from participants.

The Museum suggested asking Air Historical Branch re the 1180, which I shall do, though not optimistic.

For others lodging RAF Museum requests, it may help to know that
    AM Form 1180 cards are sorted by aircraft type by date (& as reflected by the Lancaster site).
    So in asking for the 1180, you need to give A/craft, serial and date.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Hi,
    Lysander T1521 8 A.G.S. Crashed Hill of Nigg, 1 mile SE of Wester Rarichie O.S Sheet 21/8472
    Sunderland W6010 crashed on 28th. I have a photo of the crash.
    Spitfire MD109 bellylanded Cape Wrath.
    Lysander (Serial N/K)- there is a Police report in the Caithness Archives for this one which may have some detail, the reference is NC7/2/30 "Lysander Aircraft forced landing at Berriedale" 8th March 1946.

Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan, Yes! It was that Police account you sent me that prompted me to request the 1180. Still no 1180s from Hendon, only automated replies. Richard K. Sent me the Lysander 1180s. Did you happen to get an 1180 for the Sunderland or Spitfire? If that photo you have is the aerial shot over the wreckage, I do have it already thanks. Regards. Dave.

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    I didn't request the From 1180 for the Sunderland as I knew exactly where it was and the crew details. The photo sounds like the same one i have.
    I don't have the Spitfire Form1180, too many further up my list and would only request it before visiting the area however, I do have a Spitfire for 2AGS on my list as forced landing at Cape Wrath above the cliffs at Clo Mor. Sheet 19/3073 in January 1945 with no serial listed. The source was Kinloss MRT list from 1973 which listed the unit, date and that wreckage was visible. The date may be iffy and I can't lay my hands on the paper copy.
    Bit disapointing on the Lysander Police report as the other Police reports from Caithness have a serial, crew details and an accurate 6 figure grid ref.
    Alan