Thread: W/C Stanley C. NORRIS

Thanks

Default W/C Stanley C. NORRIS

Hello,

This pilot, a former BoB veteran with 610, is known to have served in the Far East and by the end of war, was a Wing Leader of a fighter wing. I was unable to find which wing we are talking about. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Default Re: W/C Stanley C. NORRIS

Phil,
    According to "610 (County of Chester) Auxiliary Air Force Squadron, 1936-1940" (David J Bailey, Fonthill, 2019):

Norris was posted to India in August 1943, taking command of 11 Squadron in September 1943.
    The squadron became operational in December 1943 and took part in operations at Imphal.
    In March 1944 he "was promoted to Wing Commander Flying of a Flying Wing there" (author's words).
    He returned to the UK in early 1945, taking command of RAF Aston Down in May 1945.

So not a specific answer I'm afraid.
    Andy

Thanks

Default Re: W/C Stanley C. NORRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Listemann View Post
    Hello,

This pilot, a former BoB veteran with 610, is known to have served in the Far East and by the end of war, was a Wing Leader of a fighter wing. I was unable to find which wing we are talking about. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Phil
    Hi Phil,

No 11 Sqn ORB, 14 March, 1944: Squadron Leader SC Norris, DFC left on posting to No 221 Group as Wing Commander Operations.