Thread: No. 8 I.T.W. Newquay, 1942

Thanks

Default No. 8 I.T.W. Newquay, 1942

Hi all,

Have just been going through some family photos and have found a group shot of about forty young gents in uniform. The caption on the back reads:

"B" Flight "2" Squadron
    No 8 I.T.W.
    Newquay
    October 7th 1942

My uncle, John Prior, is standing in the back row, but the other men are not named.

Can anyone tell me what the context of this photograph might be? I'd say it is some sort of training course; there are a couple of older men in the front row who look like they might be instructors.

It is a great photo--all the faces are clear, and it is in excellent condition. If anyone would like a copy of this picture, I would be delighted to scan it for them. Please just send me a private message and I will arrange it for you. Would also be interested to know if anyone could identify any of the other men in the picture.

Natalie

Thanks

Hi Natalie,

ITW is for Initial Training Wing.
    Someone here can give you more exact information but basicly it was the first step of RAF training after Reception Centre.
    I suppose they passed here the discipline, drill, physical training, learning King's Regulation and maybe also selection board for future training.

Pavel

P.S. Photo would be nice but I can help you only if there are any Czechoslovak cadets among them.
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

No idea of the cadets' nationality, though one looks like he might be Indian. Have sent you the picture by separate email. Interested if you have any comments.

Natalie

Thanks

Hello everyone,

The picture is now up on my website with my other RAF pictures.

http://www.nataliejaneprior.com/RAF_Photos.htm

Natalie

Thanks

For contermporary idea of what the ITW did, pop the full term

Initial Training Wing

into the search engine on the flight archives:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/search.aspx

the articles will give you some idea of the activity I think.

An extract from May 9th, 1940 magazine reports:

Then the men who are to be pilots and observers are sent to an Initial Training Wing. There are several ot these in the country, and they only came into being after the outbreak of war. They are not situated at regular R.A.F. stations, and there is no. aerodrome attached.
    Some of them are at seaside resorts, and the men are now all billeted in hotels which have been taken over. At the I.T.W. the men are given ground instruction and physical training. They have to be in fine fettle for the work which lies ahead of them, and they have to learn something about the ways of a fighting Service. They are drilled until they become very smart, and have learnt the need for discipline and prompt obedience to orders. They are also taught to take command as well as to obey. Their P.T. instructors include well-known
    athletes, some of them professional boxers. Lectures are given, and the future pilots are given some instruction in the Link Trainer.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com