Thread: F/O EH McDonald RAAF and F/O GC Yorkston RAAF 17 March 1945

Thanks

Default F/O EH McDonald RAAF and F/O GC Yorkston RAAF 17 March 1945

Both these airmen were amongst the crew of Hudson FK739 of 251 Squadron which disappeared during the latter stages of a MAGNUM (met reconnaissance) sortie whilst returning to Reykjavik on 17 March 1945. I believe the file of one of these men is NAA. A705, 166/26/850 (source: stridsminjar.is/en/a-list-of-crash-sites-by-year/incidents-in-1945/129-hudson-north-atlantic-march-17-1945).

I'd appreciate advice as to how to access this file.

TIA

Brian

Thanks

Default Re: F/O EH McDonald RAAF and F/O GC Yorkston RAAF 17 March 1945

Hi Brian,

Both crash files are on line. If you go to our National Archives of Australia and look for ‘record search’ and then ‘keywords ‘ and put in Yorkston service number 422902 it will take you to his service file. His brother Ian Bailey Yorkston 429072 was killed a few days before him.
    Failing that if you contact me on harleyDOT158ATbigpondDOTcom replace the AT & DOT with the usual and I’ll send you the links.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Brian,

Briefly...

1. National Archives of Australia at www.naa.gov.au
    2. Under Expore Collection, click the Record Search blue button to reach the basic Search form https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au
    3. With these scant details, chose Advanced Search option, blue link upper right, in the form and entered the last part of the ref (Series A705, 166/26/850) under Control Symbol as 166/26/850

Voila! A summary record appears. Links to these invariably soon time out. In summary his file
    "McDONALD, Ernest Henry - (Flying Officer); Service Number - 430310; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Hudson FK739; Place - Target North Atlantic Sea; Date - 17 March 1945"
    and
    "In addition to the file subject, the following servicemen are mentioned in this record:
    YORKSTON Gordon Cameron – (Flying Officer); Service Number – 422902 AUS
    HUGHES W A – (Flying Officer); Service Number – 170738
    EVANS W T – (Flying Officer); Service Number – 165531
    FIELDING – (Sergeant); Service Number – 1592320"

His file access is marked Open, so you can click the blue link upper right to Request copy and follow your nose.

As a rule, it is much easier to find a casualty or personal file with Surname and Service no, as you will know I'm sure...but in this case nutting out the file no was not too hard, and the summary conveniently Id's

The Aircraft confirmed as Hudson FK739
    And the other Australian RAAF man as
    Yorkston 422902
    Whose cas file is also Open and already digitised so can be viewed - for some reason NAA image links don't time out, here it is:
    https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=1083727

FWIW basic Record Search on McDONALD 430310 picks up 4 files for these 2 RAAF men, one of them being his RAAF personnel file (the A9300 ref) which is also Access: Open and copy can be requested as noted above. Basic Record Search on Hudson FK379 also picks up the 2 cas files.

If you wish, you can have files digitised in colour for the future benefit of others - there'll be advice about costs along the order chain.
    I forget the cost or delay, but these files are in Canberra which is currently under lock-down and the NAA Office is closed for the duration - not expected to lift before early Sep if then.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 20th August 2021 at 21:23.
    Toujours ŕ propos

Thanks

John

Thank you for your quick response. As the proverbial law would indicate I discovered how to access the file shortly after posting the thread and I've spent a few minutes looking at it. Unfortunately it contains very little information in respect of the accident, and what there is is in error. C'est la vie.

My thanks again

Brian

Edit and PS. Thank you as well Don, much appreciated - and I apologise for causing unnecessary work.
    Last edited by Lyffe; 20th August 2021 at 21:06.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyffe For This Useful Post:

Don Clark (20th August 2021)