Thread: de Havilland Dragon Rapide destroyed Jan. 26th, 1942 Penfui, Koepang, Timor

Thanks

Default de Havilland Dragon Rapide destroyed Jan. 26th, 1942 Penfui, Koepang, Timor

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find further details on the following information which I recently ran across concerning the Japanese attack on Penfui airfield, Koepang, Timor on January 26th, 1942.

In short, on January 26th, 1942 six Japanese Zeros from 3rd Kokutai downed a KNILM Gruman Goose (killing all five on board) and strafed and destroyed a KNILM de Havilland Dragon Rapide, killing the female pilot and all five passengers on board the Dragon Rapide.

Can anyone confirm that the de Havilland Dragon Rapide was destroyed on January 26th, 1942. Was it a KNILM owed machine or perhaps one owned by the Portuguese from East Timor? Who was the “female pilot” of the Dragon Rapide?

Thank you for your help,
    Mieszko

Thanks

Default Re: de Havilland Dragon Rapide destroyed Jan. 26th, 1942 Penfui, Koepang, Timor

Hello everyone,
    I also posted my question over on the 12 O’Clock High forum (Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East). A Letter to the Editor from the The Aviation Historian issue 33 (2020) clears up what happened to the Dragon Rapide on Jan 26th, 1942. The Dragon Rapide was damaged, not destroyed. Then it was flown to Andir, Java for repairs. P.C. Boer’s “The Loss of Java” has the Dragon Rapide being destroyed on Feb. 19th , 1942 at Andir, Java.

Here is a link to the 12 O’Clock forum (which has a link to the TAH issue 33)
    http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=60581

Mieszko