Thread: Sgt donald roy trask rafvr 798775

Thanks

Default Sgt donald roy trask rafvr 798775

Hi All, could anyone please provide some service details for the above air gunner from Newfoundland. He was killed in Sunderland DP197 on 15th Aug 1944 with 4 (C) OTU. I don`t require any details on the accident, just where and when Sgt Trask enlisted and trained prior to joining the above unit. Any help greatly appreciated. Regards
    Dave.

Thanks

Default Re: Sgt donald roy trask rafvr 798775

Hello,

Not an entirely reliable source, nor precisely what you want, but ...

Killed In Action.

TRASK, Donald Roy, Sgt. (798775). Hamilton and Elliston, Newfoundland. Re-mustered in 1942 to an Air Gunner. He was KIA August 15, 1944, with burial at Cromarty, Scotland.

See:
    Canadians in the Royal Air Force.
    Allison,Les.
    Roland:Author,1978.
    p.199.

Thanks

Thanks Col. I don`t have a copy of that book, but the sparse details are appreciated. If anyone else can add to this that would be great. Regards. Dave.

Thanks

Can help at least with broad detail of enlistment, using the on-site Reference section listing of Other Ranks Service nos at
    http://www.rafcommands.com/reference...rvice-numbers/

The list shows
    "Local enlistments Newfoundland": starting Aug 1940 at 798500, to (last issued no) 798857

With 798775 Trask Donald Roy RAFVR falling squarely in that range, 275th enlistment out of 357.
    As there's only this block of numbers for Newfoundland local enlistments (the Army transfers set is quite different) with no following block, can't estimate the rate of issue & hence possible date of enlisting, other than to say, as listed:
    some time from August 1940 onwards.

Entering RAFVR in war-time as Aircraftman 2nd Class (AC2), his timing from AC2 on entry, through ITW, to AC1, selection as Aircrew under training, to B&GS/Air Gunner remuster/Qual and promotion to Sgt in 1942 someone else may be able to summarise quickly.
    Last edited by Don Clark; 26th August 2021 at 03:11.
    Toujours à propos

Thanks

Thanks Don, that puts me a step closer. I`m thinking now he may have served in one of the Canadian BR squadrons during 1943 and early 44 as others had before embarking for the UK. I can`t any mention of him in newspapers, yet a photo of him, yet a photo of him on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial looks like it came from a newspaper or magazine. Regards. Dave.

Thanks

Hello All,
    I don’t want to hijack this thread, but I was involved (still am) in the original complexities of the RAF numbering system(s). There was a retired Wg Cdr (name I forget!!) who was the expert!
    I would like to re-ask if anybody has yet come across the definition of “Local Enlistments”?
    Many years ago I was told that ‘Local Enlistment’ meant just that. You Enlisted where you lived, received uniform, basic training, etc, etc, and would be expected to serve only at the RAF base near your home. This allowed a lot of the back-up personnel to be uniformed, and be subject to the Air Force Act. The MT drivers, Mess staff, cooks, etc, etc, could thus keep the base functioning but (mostly?) still live at home. They could volunteer to join the rest of the RAF and, clearly, they would have to be posted away if the military situation warranted it.
    Anybody got any clues?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

You will find another photograph (poor), and a brief biography of Donald Roy Trask, here:

https://collections.museedelhistoire...hp?irn=5023831 Download.

(Hamilton Spectator 18/08/1944)

Trask trained at No.34 OTU, Pennfield Ridge, New Brunswick:

http://sites.rootsweb.com/~nbpennfi/penn8b3No34OTU.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 27th August 2021 at 00:13.

Thanks

Thanks Col. Good work! That`s a great help. The pieces of the jigsaw are finally coming together. Regards. Dave.