Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-1945

Thanks

Default Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-1945

Hello

Just seen this set of records pop up on a search on ancestry.co.uk, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be up and running as yet. Or at least I can't access it. It's not one I've seen before.

The search I did (Stanley Everett Perkins [EDIT - Parkins], d. 1940) does come up with a preview of the records and gives the circumstances of the casualty in the notes:

"Knocked down by a motor car when walking in the road at night near Churchdown, Glos."

Does anyone know the origin of this set of records?

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 28th August 2021 at 16:14. Reason: typo in the title
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: Ancesry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-1945

Simon, Mornin',
    Tks for the heads-up! Looks interesting. Let's hope it's not just a mega- cut&paste job! These tend to redistribute the errors?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Ancesry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-1945

I wonder if this is the Chris Hobson list ?

Thanks

Default Re: Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-194

Thanks

Default Re: Ancestry.co.uk - UK, World War II Index to Allied Airmen Roll of Honour, 1939-194

One and the same this is the Chris Hobson list. The details of sample entries tally

Chris

Thanks

Ancestry must have licenced it...

Thanks

For context any “additional” fate Hobson data referenced already - Jon has found some errors with Hobson as well and “new info” was very minimal anyway
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 28th August 2021 at 13:20.

Thanks

Re” Knocked down by a motor car when walking in the road at night near Churchdown, Glos." ”

Jon will
    Prob tell you license plate of car as well!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Re” Knocked down by a motor car when walking in the road at night near Churchdown, Glos." ”

Jon will
    Prob tell you license plate of car as well!

Lol , thanks , I can see if I have the car details if you wish !

Whilst I don’t wish to denigrate anything or anyone’s work , and I fully understand that you have to publish at some point ,

BUT

coupled with the fact that unless you have a shed load of cash to buy death certificates for the at least 1 percent who there are NO records for as they died post medical discharge , so the work will probably NEVER be fully finished ( equally , on my part, I’ve been collating stuff in my dyslexic , scattered approach for example but could NEVER have had the intelligence of skill to organise this database as Jagan has done which allows me to slot stuff easily into it ) ,

SADLY

The Chris Hobbs tomes contain quite a number of errors and poor accountings and educated guesses . Trouble with educated guesses is they are often “ probably “ as wrong as they are “ probably “ right .

I’ve learnt that unless it’s official , then don’t put it down . Even then it can be wrong .

It’s an interesting wider question though . I think this database on here could probably be got to 98 percent of the RAF , excluding the levies, remaining African and Indian indigenous followers , the MVAF and local enlistment RAF etc., whom I’ve struggled to find much on year upon year back to when pencil and paper was cutting edge technology .

I also think we’ve got 2-5 percent “ poorly or minimally unaccounted “ for example in the first 4 months of 1940 there are around 35 airmen with no real cause of death appended

ALSO

If you can collate and add 100 RAF airmen a month , with around 5000 to do , that’s still 4.5 years !
    Last edited by jonheyworth; 28th August 2021 at 14:48.

Thanks

I just looked up Stanley Everett Parkins on here and I actually added him i believe as a Facebook plug-in comment entry . All since collated by Jagan before he asked me to start a special thread . We have far more detail
    Last edited by jonheyworth; 28th August 2021 at 16:14.