Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Good Afternoon all,

    i am trying to find out about these men and what he got up to during WW2. I have had limited success and only found out a small amount of detail

    Name - John Eley
    Number - 183098

    I found him in the London Gazette in 1944

    Also this man

    Name - W C Shaw
    Number - 183097

    Any information or advice of how to find out more about them , which aircraft they flew in etc. would be very much appreciated


    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    P/O William Charles Shaw 183097 RAF(VR) was an air gunner on 214 (Federated Malay States) Squadron in 1945 flying Fortresses.
    He was posted in from 1699 Flight on the 22nd January 1945 and appeared in their ORB between February and April

    Chris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Quote Originally Posted by cozzy711 View Post
    P/O William Charles Shaw 183097 RAF(VR) was an air gunner on 214 (Federated Malay States) Squadron in 1945 flying Fortresses.
    He was posted in from 1699 Flight on the 22nd January 1945 and appeared in their ORB between February and April

    Chris

    Thank you Chris

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Val. Mezirici, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Hi,

    1818647 John ELEY (183098)

    https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Eley-597

    He joined the RAF Was posted to 460 (RAAF) Squadron Survived WW2 Crewed on Lancaster Bomber in Bob Wade's crew
    Sources

    Book "Into the Darkness"

    Arthur R Hoyle

    https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/into-the-darkness-11


    https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=5254546

    HOYLE ARTHUR ROBERT : Service Number – 420884

    His service: page 21 of 43

    To 460 Sqdn 7.11.43 from 1662 CU

    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8438889

    page p. 5 of 6: POSTINGS – AIRCREW RAF 1818647 Sgt. ELEY J. posted from 1662 CU

    and so on…

    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...&_ps=60&_srt=3

    Regards

    Mojmir

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Quote Originally Posted by vrajm View Post
    Hi,

    1818647 John ELEY (183098)

    https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Eley-597

    He joined the RAF Was posted to 460 (RAAF) Squadron Survived WW2 Crewed on Lancaster Bomber in Bob Wade's crew
    Sources

    Book "Into the Darkness"

    Arthur R Hoyle

    https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/into-the-darkness-11


    https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=5254546

    HOYLE ARTHUR ROBERT : Service Number – 420884

    His service: page 21 of 43

    To 460 Sqdn 7.11.43 from 1662 CU

    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D8438889

    page p. 5 of 6: POSTINGS – AIRCREW RAF 1818647 Sgt. ELEY J. posted from 1662 CU

    and so on…

    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...&_ps=60&_srt=3

    Regards

    Mojmir
    Wow , thats fantastic , thank you very much

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Do you know why he would of had two service numbers?

    1818647 John ELEY (183098)
    Last edited by Kernowboy72; 11th September 2021 at 19:34.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernowboy72 View Post
    Do you know why he would of had two service numbers?

    1818647 John ELEY (183098)
    He was commissioned Pilot Officer wef 3 August 1944. NCO number (1818647) discontinued and 183098 replaced it.

    On 3 February 1945 he was promoted to Flying Officer. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4528

    Regards,

    Dave

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Help with researching aircrew SHAW & ELEY

    Thanks Dave , does that mean his job stayed the same , just his rank changed ?


    Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    He was commissioned Pilot Officer wef 3 August 1944. NCO number (1818647) discontinued and 183098 replaced it.

    On 3 February 1945 he was promoted to Flying Officer. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4528

    Regards,

    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •