Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sgt A.A. LEWIS 501 Squadron June 1940

Thanks

Default Sgt A.A. LEWIS 501 Squadron June 1940

Hi guys

Seeking some information on the above. I have seen it implied that he was shot down and killed in action while flying with 501 Squadron in June 1940, but his name does not appear in CWGC.

Perhaps he was a POW?

I do not know his forenames.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian,

I have checked the following:

After The Battle - Fall of France
    Fighter Command Losses - June 1940
    Nominal Roll of BofB crews

but could find no Sgt A A Lewis

Thanks

Has anyone checked Air 78-096 to see if an A A Lewis exists it is nearly 3 GB to download though!

Thanks

'Fear Nothing' The History of 501 Squadron, David Watkins, mentions a 'Sgt Lewis' as being lost in P3347 on 8 June whilst operating from Boos (Dickie Hulse lost on the same day)'
    Lewis's loss is not confirmed in any of the other accounts of the period as far as I can see; AB Serials records that P3347 was 'believed abandoned in Jersey 20/6/1940'.
    More questions than answers!
    regards
    DaveW

Thanks

In the David Watkins/Phil Listemann history of 501 sqdn the details for A A Lewis state " This name appears only once in the ORB, on May 27, 1940. No trace has been found on this pilot after that date although one Sgt A A Lewis was found on Equipment branch (No 195363) in 1940."

This volume published in 2007 and contradicts the earlier post.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Default A.A. Lewis

Thanks guys

That's another I will check out when next at Kew.

What with 'Jammy' Payne, A.A. Lewis is the second 501 mystery man!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Flt Sgt Payne and "Sgt Lewis" are enigmatic and poorly documented squadron characters; even contemporary pilots and groundcrew struggle to recall them. Most squadron documents were lost during the withdrawal from France and a some of the information from that period is drawn from the B Flight flying log for the period, March 1939 - June 1940 This unique and most precious, hand-written log was compiled by the SNCO B Flight and records Date, Aircraft, Times, etc.

"Sgt Lewis" first appears in the log on 22 May 1940: L3640 11.35 - 11.50 15mins.
    He makes ten more operational sorties between that date and 7 June 1940.
    8 June 1940: P3347:N "Operating from another Base" (Boos) 1.10mins "Missing after enemy action".

Flt Sgt Payne and 'Ginger' Lacey were great friends and he appears in the B Flight log book on 9 May 1940: L1949:O 10.35 - 11.10 .35
    He is mentioned throughout the log and the last entry is 25 June 1940: P3040 15.00-15.30 "Delivery Flight" NFD

I don't have time to go throught the ORB for further information on Payne.

The entry for P3347 "Believed abandoned in Jersey" was a contemporary admin paper order to clear up the aircraft lost in France.

The other Sgt Lewis was a NCO in the Stores Office. Why he is mentioned in the ORB I have no idea?

I hope that this clears up the confusion? I am sorry I don't have the time to answer more questions as I am (slowly) recovering from a brain haemorrhage.

David Watkins

Thanks

Hi David

Sorry to learn of your health issue and of course wish you a complete recovery.

Thanks for responding to my queries, much appreciated.

Cheers & Good Luck
    Brian

Thanks

"This unique and most precious, hand-written log was compiled by the SNCO B Flight and records Date, Aircraft, Times, etc."

Is this document available somewhere? I would be very interested in seeing it.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Default Sgt AO Lewis 501 squadron

Does anybody have any information Sgt A O Lewis 566649 who flew hurricanes with 501 squadron . The only information I have is that he was lost 8th June 1940. I have found a reference to a Sgt AA Lewis who is recorded as KIA on this date ? I am not sure if this is the same person but A O Lewis survived the war and has only recently passed away. Many thanks