Thread: P/O P M La Gette and F/L O Godart

Thanks

Default P/O P M La Gette and F/L O Godart

P/O P M La Gette was a pilot with 137 Squadron, but there is some confusion as to the spelling of his name; sometimes it is written as 'Gette', and elsewhere as 'Geete'. I can't find him in the LG so I'm assuming that's because he's French.

F/L O H Godart was a meteorologist at HQ Bomber Command (forecasting the winds for major operations). I can't find him in the LG either, so I'm again assuming he's French.

I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm that both men were French, and also advise of the correct spelling of Gette/Geete.

TIA
    Brian

Thanks

Since posting this thread I've reason to believe Godart was from Belgium not France.

Brian

Thanks

Hi Brian

Isn't this the same Gette/Geete discussed on an old thread:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=9140&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

I thought it was agreed that he was American - or have I misread the thread (entirely possible after a sleepless night!!)

A

Thanks

RE: Godart - his biog (sorry about the long link - it is google translated)

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odon_Godart&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&p rev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Odon%2BGodart%2522%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26hs%3DM3r%26sa%3DG

A

Thanks

Very many thanks Amrit - I should have recalled the La Gette thread (especially as I started it), but I'd posted it on behalf of someone else and it slipped my mind.

The reference to Godart is brilliant - not only is he of interest to me, but I'm in touch with the son of one of his fellow forecasters, and he will be delighted with this find. I'm not sure the item you found is completely correct - Godart had nothing to do with Eisenhower or the D-day forecasts (I've done a lot of research into this for the biography of a forecaster who was involved) - but no matter.

I need to do some research into the bit about 'surveys over the North Sea' I suspect that means he was with one of the Met Flights, but I know who to ask about that. It would be interesting to know which squadron he was flying with when his Stirling crashed - I think that must have been early in 1943, as he was in hospital for three months, and I know he worked in the HQ 3 Group Met Office at Exning before moving to HQ Bomber Command.

Can anyone help with the crash?

Thanks again Amrit.

Brian