Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fg Off AC Macmillan belly landed 07/07/43 in German occupied Holland

Thanks

Default Fg Off AC Macmillan belly landed 07/07/43 in German occupied Holland

My father, Alexander Charles Macmillan (Mac), was flying a Mustang (4(AC) Sqn) out of Bottisham on a "Rhubarb" when he was shot down and belly landed on a farm near Abbestede in Holland on 7th July 1943. He survived, was captured, and eventually spent the rest of the War in Stalag Luft III. He survived the "Long March" and was eventually repatriated from Diepholz on 7th May 1945. On return, according to his Log Books (which have only come into my possession recently) he spent from then until 28th February 1946 at a succession of units flying a multitude of a/c types, including: Dakota, Spitfires V and VI, Miles Master, Auster, Anson and, unbelievably, JU52.
    I would be very grateful if there is anyone on this Forum who has relevant info on 4(AC) Sqn, the locations of:- 94 FSP RAF, 4167 SC/?SE?, 17 ACHU, or 1508 ACC Flight.
    My Dad continued in the RAF until retirement in 1960. I joined in 1961 and retired, as a Sqn Ldr, in 1994.

Thanks

Default Re: Fg Off AC Macmillan belly landed 07/07/43 in German occupied Holland

Hi Alex welcome aboard.

I can provide help with 4 Sqn if you can be a bit more specific. Your father was flying Mustang AG422 along with F/O C J Scrivener in AP238. The Rhubarb was to Alkmaar airfield where they are believed to have attacked aircraft on the ground and both were shot down.

The other abbreviations include 94 (Forward) Staging Post and 4167 Servicing Echelon; according to my source** 1508 Flight started as a Beam Approach Training Flight... became a more generic Radio Aids Training Flight and then for a brief time in 1946 an Acclimatisation Flight; ACC is listed as Allied Control Commission; not sure about ACHU but it might be something like Allied Control H? U?

** Flying Training and Support Units since 1912 Sturtivant and Hamlin.

Steve

Thanks

Default Re: Fg Off AC Macmillan belly landed 07/07/43 in German occupied Holland

HI Alex,

From the same source as Steve..

94FSP was based at Llandow but had detachments at B.91 Klais from 20.4.45

then B.103 Plantlunne from 4.5.45

4167 Servicing Echelon was at Blackbushe from 30.3.45 and Warwicks and Ansons are mentioned and later Dakotas.

As Steve says the others are still questions.
    peter

Thanks

Hello Alex

ACHU is Aircrew Holding Unit. No. 17 was at Snaith after the war from June 1945 to May 1946.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thank you so much to all of you for your quick and comprehensive replies. to give you a little more back ground, Dad was born in October 1917 and joined the Royal Artillery as a Gunner in April 1935, having lied about his age at the time of enlistment. He rose to the rank of Sgt. All his postings were in a training role within the Salisbury Plain/Warminster area so, looking for a more active role he applied to become a pilot in Sep 1941. He completed initial training, whilst still in the Army, at No: 1 EFTS Hatfield. On transferring to the RAF, he went to Canada (No: 39 SFTS Saskatchewan) in Dec 1941 - he was awarded his Wings on 27th March 1942. On his return, he went through No: 7 (P) AFU Peterborough and No: 41 OTU Old Sarum, converting to tomahawks and Mustangs. He spent short spells with No: 171(AC) Sqn - twice - and No: 2(AC) Sqn before posting to No: 4(AC) Sqn on 3rd January 1943.
    I would be very grateful if anyone on here could provide me with source/s of photos for this period - especially of Mustang airframe AG 592 "P" his favourite "mount". He only flew AG 422 once, and that was when he was shot down. As you will probably know, AG 422 was a notable a/c as it was the one flown by test pilot Ronnie Ward Harker when he convinced the AM to put the Merlin into the Mustang, thus the legendary P51D was born.

Alex

Thanks

Hello Steve,
    Thanks for your offer of help with 4 sqn info. Anything you have during the relevant period, 3 Jan 1943 - 7 Jul. 1943, particularly any pictures of AG 592 "P".
    Regards
    Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Macmillan View Post
    , AG 422 was a notable a/c as it was the one flown by test pilot Ronnie Ward Harker when he convinced the AM to put the Merlin into the Mustang, thus the legendary P51D was born.

Alex
    Hello Alex,

It's not only the P-51D, but all Merlin powered P-51s, starting with the P-51B/C, which were actually faster than the D version, because the highback was more aerodynamically efficient than the lowback D.

You didn't say if you have the Squadrons' Operations Record Books (ORB) for the periods you father served with them. These can be downloaded, so far, from the website of The National Archives, once you have created a profile (free). Another little bit of information would be the PoW questionnaires of your father and Scrivener (WO 344 series at Kew, not online).

Most units have their own ORBs, but from experience, the ORBs of training units is usually disappointing, as it only records the start and finish of courses, as far as pupils are concerned, accidents, and postings in/out of staff, official visits, etc...

As for pictures of Mustang, you may try the official sources such as the Imperial War Museum and the R.A.F. Museum in Hendon, they may have some interesting pictures, but one of a specific machine would be difficult to guarantee.

HTH

Joss

Thanks

Alex Macmillan, please contact me on john.engelsted at gmail.com (replace at with the obvious)

John Engelsted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jossleclercq View Post
    Hello Alex,

It's not only the P-51D, but all Merlin powered P-51s, starting with the P-51B/C, which were actually faster than the D version, because the highback was more aerodynamically efficient than the lowback D.

You didn't say if you have the Squadrons' Operations Record Books (ORB) for the periods you father served with them. These can be downloaded, so far, from the website of The National Archives, once you have created a profile (free). Another little bit of information would be the PoW questionnaires of your father and Scrivener (WO 344 series at Kew, not online).

Most units have their own ORBs, but from experience, the ORBs of training units is usually disappointing, as it only records the start and finish of courses, as far as pupils are concerned, accidents, and postings in/out of staff, official visits, etc...

As for pictures of Mustang, you may try the official sources such as the Imperial War Museum and the R.A.F. Museum in Hendon, they may have some interesting pictures, but one of a specific machine would be difficult to guarantee.

HTH

Joss

Thanks Joss, the POW Questionnaire for my Dad would be great unfortunately, F/O Scrivener was killed after crashing on the same mission. Also Kew is a long way from Elgin: does Kew do a postal service?
    Alex

Thanks

Hello again Alex

If you click on my name above you will be taken to a link that enables you to send me an email.
    I have got a copy of your father's PoW q'aire. As far as I know there is no photo around of AG592/P but I can share the information I have about the photos that are available.

Steve