Thread: RCAF pilot, shot down, Ingolstadt, Sep 1944

Thanks

Default RCAF pilot, shot down, Ingolstadt, Sep 1944

My father was an 8th USAAF POW in the military hospital in Ingolstadt, Ger during Apr, '45. I am researching the last days before the US take-over of the city to help illuminate my father's more 'acoustic' history of events. I have run across something in the narrative of that period from the mayor of Ingolstadt, one Joseph Listl, that illustrates the danger that Allied airmen faced when shot down. This happened on 10 Sep 1944 when 3 low flying A/C attacked the city. One of the A/C was shot down over the south side of the Danube river and a "Canadian major" parachuted successfully and was arrested by the local police. The local Nazi leader, Kreisleiter Sponsel demanded that police chief Schilcher turn the airman over to him. The chief indignantly refused while explaining that the correct procedure, which he would comply with, was to turn the airman over to the Luftwaffe at the Manching airbase just southeast of the city. Through subterfuge, during the transfer, Herr Sponsel gained access to the Canadian. Within a few hours, the airman lay dead in with a gunshot wound to the back of his head. The city officials were outraged at the event, but nothing was done until after the war. Sponsel and an associate faced an American military tribunal in 1946 and were hanged in 1947.
    Q: Is this a known event? Q: Who was this RCAF airman? Q: What was his unit and what was his mission over Ingolstadt on 10 Sep 1944, what A/C etc was flown?
    Doug Griffith

Thanks

Default Re: RCAF pilot, shot down, Ingolstadt, Sep 1944

Hello

According to this page:

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...search&pto=aue

he was Major John R Reynolds, a P-51 pilot.

Link: https://www.americanairmuseum.com/person/128122

regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 10th September 2021 at 08:55. Reason: Added link to AAM
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: RCAF pilot, shot down, Ingolstadt, Sep 1944

Thank you wwrsimon for your reference. My source was the 1947 recollections of Dr. Listl, the mayor of Ingolstadt. Now I find it is a well known example of Nazi reprisal against a downed Allied airman in WWII. Without a name and with other specific info misstated, I was glad to avail myself of the forum's collective knowledge. The pilot, a major in the USAAF, whose P-51 was damaged by FLAK ~ 50 miles north of Ingolstadt, escaped narrowly by parachute as his plane crashed just south of the Danube river outside the Altstadt. The Nazi official involved, Georg Sponsel and his accomplice had taken the exhortations of Goebbels for popular vigilantism against downed Allied "air murderers" to heart. The word was that the Nazis understood their anger and would not punish members of the public for any harm that befell the enemy airmen. This started in the spring of 1944 and was reinforced by Hitler that summer.
    Doug Griffith