Thread: Seeking Cause of death

Thanks

Default Seeking Cause of death

Hello,
    Seeking the cause of death of these two airmen.

October 3rd.
    AC2c Charles Haig TAYLOR, 39587, RNZAF.
    and
    December 16th.
    AC2c Wilfred BARRETT, 329872 - RAF.

Thanks
    Alex

Thanks

Default Re: Seeking Cause of death

Hello,

A39587 AC2 Charles Haig TAYLOR RNZAF (Note 'A' prefix in service number):

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ne...T19391012.2.29

Col.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smart View Post
    Hello,
    Seeking the cause of death of these two airmen.

1939 October 3rd. AC2c Charles Haig TAYLOR, 39587, RNZAF.
    and
    December 16th. AC2c Wilfred BARRETT, 329872 - RAF.

Alex

Our current DB already has links

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...hp?qnum=114978 - forum link which takes you to http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...532#post138532 >> 1939-10-03 Ohakea A39587 AC2 Aircrafthand TAYLOR, Charles H. (RNZAF) - AQ1-72. Died of natural causes while on parade at Ohakea and is buried at Gisborne.

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?qnum=54343 - external link to rafweb - Died in the Princess Mary's RAF Hospital at Halton

Are you looking for more detail than what we have already?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jagan For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (17th September 2021)

Thanks

Thanks Jagan, yes looking for more, but could not access the external link for Barrett.
    Looks like the data has been updated since I last searched through or I missed it detail on Taylor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Smart For This Useful Post:

Jagan (17th September 2021)

Thanks

In regard to Horace Stephen Grey, 9th September, 39.
    What I had previously seen was that he was killed by a motorcar.
    The data now shows that it was manslaughter .
    So would the car driver had been charged with manslaughter ?
    Or was there no motorcar accident ?

Thanks

A39587 AC2 Charles Haig TAYLOR RNZAF

Sudden Death at Ohakea Aerodrome
    MANAWATU TIMES, VOLUME 64, ISSUE 241, 12 OCTOBER 1939, PAGE 3

INQUEST CONCLUDED AT FEILDING The inquest concerning the sudden death at Ohakea Aerodrome at 11.40 a.m. on October 3 of Charles Haigh Taylor, of Gisborne, second-class aircraftsman, was concluded at Feilding yesterday by the District Coroner, Mr. J. S. Tingey, J.P. Sergeant Turner represented the police and Mr. McGregor, of Palmerston North, was in attendance representing the relatives of the deceased. Evidence was tendered that deceased suddenly expired while taking part iu physical exercises. Dr. K. G. Salmond, of Feilding, who conducted a post-mortem, gave evidence that death was due to heart failure arising from the narrowing in of an artery and was in no way attributable to the physical training. The Coroner returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

Thanks

Killing somebody while driving under the influence - you can be charged with Manslaughter... However in this case he was found not guilty of this offense but found guilty of a lesser one - and spent time in jail

Belfast News-Letter - Friday 20 October 1939

HORACE STEPHEN GRAY NOT Grey

Service Number: 352243

Belfast News-Letter - Friday 20 October 1939

VAN DRIVER ON CHARGE OF MANSLAUGHTER Airman Killed Near Aldergrove Before Captain S. Waring, J.P., at a special court in Crumlin yesterday, Patrick M'Cann, Crosshill, Crumlin, was returned for trial to the next Assizes for County Antrim, charged with the manslaughter of an aii’man, Horace Stephen Gray, at Seacash, near Aldergrove Aerodrome, on September 9. Robert Andrew Heath, a member the R.A.F, stationed at Aldergrovo. said that at 6-35 p.m. on September he set out with Gray to walk to Crumlin. They proceeded along the right-hand side of the road, Gray being on the edge of the road and witness on the grass verge. When about 20 yards from the Sandes Home he heard motor vehicle and a horn sounded. He then heard a terrific thump at his side and Gray was lifted right off his feet, landed on the road and slid up to the gate of the Home. The accident was caused by a closed van which swerved over to its own side and did not stop. He estimated the speed of the van at 45 miles per hour. When went over to Gray he found him bleeding profusely fiom the head. Ho was then dead. Corporal Edward Whan, National Defence Company, Aldcrgrove, said he was in cnarge of the guard and was relieving sentries below the Sandes Home. He saw a motor van approaching on the wrong side of the road and just after it passed him he saw it strike an airman. The van then swung on to its own side of the road and seemed to put on more speed. When the accused was brought back to the scene of the accident he refused to accompany witness to the guardroom and got very abusive. He was staggering and under the influence of drink, and in witness’s opinion incapable of driving a car. Constable Joseph Meighan, Crumlln, said that at 7 p.m. he saw three men standing beside a van on the Crosshill Road. He saw the bumper was off the right side of the car and he asked the men, who were joined by the accused, if they had been involved in an accident. Accused replied that had killed an airman. When the men were accompanying witness to the scene of the accident he noticed they wore unsteady in their gait. Accused was unsteady on his feet, his breath smelled strongly of alcohol and there was a dull appearance about bis eyes. After caution accused said: “I admit I had some drink at O’Neill’s public house. I was driving the motor van and licence expired in July. It is entirely my fault. The airman was out on the road when I knocked him down, I lost my head and drove on.” The van had stopped about 400 yards from the pool of blood on the The prosecution was conducted by Captain W. F. Crcery, D. 1.. and Mr. S. C. Porter. K.C. (instructed by Messrs. C. & H. Jefferson, Belfast), appeared for the accused.

Belfast News-Letter - Tuesday 12 December 1939

Prison for Reckless Driver of Motor Car AIRCRAFTMAN’S DEATH
    The sittings of the Ulster Winter Assizes were continued before Lord Justice Babington in the County Courthouse, Belfast, yesterday.

THROWN INTO THE AIR “Death Due Terrible Injuries” Patrick M'Cann, whose address was given as Crosshill, Co. Antrim, pleaded not guilty when charged with the manslaughter of Horace Stephen Gray, a first class aircraftman, on September 9, 1939. Gray was killed a motor vehicle driven by the accused. Mr. James M'Sparran (instructed by T. E. Alexander & Co.) defended. Robert Andrew Heath, a leading aircraftman, stationed at Aldergrove, said he was walking with Gray on the grass verge of the road when he heard terrible thud at his side and immediately Gray was carried into the air by a motor van and then thrown off, "bounclns; towards the Sandes’s Homo Sate, The vehicle then swayed towards its proper side, but did not get on its proper side; continued on. Witness ran over to Gray and found that he was dead. Flight-Lieutenant Cecil W. Kidd. M,D., said Gray's death was due to terrible injuries—fracture of the skull, laceration of the brain, compound fracture of the left leg, shock and hemorrhage. At the request of the constable in charge of the case, he Interviewed M'Cann in order to ascertain if he was in a fit condition to make statement. He found M'Cann was fit to make a statement, and the accused answered questions intelligently. PUT OX MORE SPEED Corporal Edward Whan, a member of the National Defence Company, said he saw the van, which was travelling at 30 m.p.h., hit Gray, The van. after hitting Gray, swung out towards its proper side and "seemed to put on more speed.” Witness intercepted a private car and sent it after the van. The van had plenty of room to pass Gray and his companion. When the accused mar. was in the guardroom at Aldergrove he was, in witness's opinion, under the influence drink, and was staggering. In my opinion,” the witness added, he was not capable of driving a car." When witness asked M'Cann why he did not stop, he became very abusive. The Crown called a number of other witnesses, one of whom alleged that M'Cann. in the guard room, took full responsibility for the accident, and added that he had had a few drinks.” The accused, a eterk in the Air Ministry, said that, during a period of 40 minutes, and before the accident, he had five drinks (bottles of stout) in public house. He imagined at that time that he had complete control of the van. Approaching a corner saw four soldiers walking abreast towards Crumiin. He sounded his hooter twice, but the men did not take anv notice. He pulled to his wrong side, when saw two men walking on the road, on his right, about five yards away; that was on bend. realised he had struck one of the men, and " lost his head.” TOOK FULL RESPONSIBILITY After going some 350 yards, he pulled up and was proceeding back to the scene of the accident when was met by a woman who told him an airman had been killed. He saw Constable Meehan, told him he had been in an accident and took full responsibility. To Mr. Shell, cross-examining, the accused now said he did not see the man. He “felt an impact.” and lost his head. Mr. Shell —What made you lose your head? —The result ot tne impact. Doesn’t it occur to you that, had you been sober, you could not have failed to sec the two men? —I couldn’t say that. Waa it violent impact?—lt was, I should say. When you did pull up, had you recovered your self-control?—Partly. Do you admit that you were under the influence of drink on that occasion? —I do. I suggest to you that, if you had been cold sober, this accident would never have happened. Do you agree? —No, I can’t say I do. I suggest to you that, if you had been sober, you would have pulled when you saw the four men. Do you agree? —I do. The jury found M'Cann guilty of reckless driving.” Lord Justice Babington told M'Cann that regarded the case as a very bad one, and sent him to prison for six months in the second division. He disqualified M'Cann from holding a driver’s licence for five years.

Note it is unc.lear but from another source "He was found not guilty of the manslaughter of Horace Stephen Gray, "

10. The Following User Says Thank You to paulmcmillan For This Useful Post:

Alex Smart (17th September 2021)

Thanks

Seeking cause of death ? Do you want poor Horace Gray’s actual stated injuries. ? I can get them if that’s what you want

Thanks

He died of a fracture of the base of the Skull and lacerations of the brain

Thanks

Thank you for these new details of causes of death for some airmen that for me were still "unknown".
    Alex