Thread: When posts of xxx Leaders has been established in the RAF squadrons?

Thanks

Default When posts of xxx Leaders has been established in the RAF squadrons?

Hi all,

I am interested if it is possible to find out when posts of leaders in particular trade havebeen established in the RAF squadrons structure?
    I suppose they were established on different dates not all of them at once?

Bombing Leader
    Gunnery Leader
    Signals Leader
    Radar Leader
    Flight Engineer Leader

Any ideas and information will be mich appreciated

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Default Re: When posts of xxx Leaders has been established in the RAF squadrons?

Hi Pavel

I have seen many references in ORBs to AGs attending Gunnery Leaders Courses at Warmwell in 1940 and Observers attending Bombing Leading Courses at Manby in 1940.

Malcolm

Thanks

Default Re: When posts of xxx Leaders has been established in the RAF squadrons?

Sept to Dec 1939 a fair number of veteran officers, Great War experienced soldiers mainly, were granted commissions mainly as Air Gunners from what I can see. I had wondered if this was the beginning although there are commissioned Air Gunners in the RAF list with commissions prior to this time.
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

The “Leader” organisational function makes sense in the “star” system of command/control!
    The Flight Commander was the Pilot Leader. All functional Piloting matters came to him from the Sqn Commander (et al), and he then passed them on to all the Pilots in his Flight.
    All the other aircrew ‘trades’ did similarly. There was, thus, one POC for all the members of a particular ‘trade’ in the Sqn. He received changes in procedures, etc, etc, and it was his job to make sure that ALL the members of that ‘trade’ were made aware of the new “gen”. It might mean that briefings had to be held. It was the ???? Leader’s job to arrange those briefings, and ensure that all his ‘blokes’ attended them.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!