Thread: W/O G P McCully 145 Sqn claim 30/3/44 near Anzio - any details?

Thanks

Default W/O G P McCully 145 Sqn claim 30/3/44 near Anzio - any details?

I'm trying to find detail of a claim made by W/O Gerald Palmerson McCully R84885 RCAF serving with 145 squadron - his Sortie Report for 30/3/44 in the Anzio area (from Spitfireperformance.com) has the following

"I and my No.2 were flying below cloud at approx. 4,000' following reports of 4 E/A given by Grubstake and shortly saw 2 FW 190's (Long nose) come out of cloud and fly SE. I gave chase and got to within 500 yards of one when it suddenly broke up to starboard. The other carried on in a shallow dive to port and was followed by my No.2. I followed the E/A up to starboard to just below the cloud when he did a 360 ° turn and few S. After a couple of minutes I caught him up and fired from 300 yards astern without seeing strikes. I then closed to 200-250 yards and fired again seeing strikes on his port wing root and he began to stream glycol. When 150 yards away I fired again – a long burst – hitting the engine cowling and the cockpit. The E/A then blew up and spun down in flames at approx. M.1298. I fired 320 x .303, 200 x 20mm.

I claim 1 FW 190 (Long nose) Destroyed. (Confirmed by F/L. Blackburn)"

The write up does seem very clear and doesn't sound like one that limped back home - I noticed a recent auction for a logbook etc of another Squadron Member (R H Orlebar) which mentions "W/O Jerry McCully (Canada) destroyed a long nosed 190, and F/O ‘Brook’ Harrington got a probable and a damaged (long-nosed 190s) this morning before breakfast off Anzio these were both later confirmed as ‘destroyed’ by ships"

From speaking to a mate who is a lot more knowledgeable than me on the German side of things than me (wouldn't be hard) and has a good reference library it wouldn't have been a Long Nose FW190 as those didn't operate in the area and he can't find a matching loss - does anyone have any details of a loss that ties in with the claim? or any further details? anything on McCully would be useful - I know he had been with 411 Squadron in 1942 - and I am currently grabbing the relevant ORB's

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Thanks

Default Re: W/O G P McCully 145 Sqn claim 30/3/44 near Anzio - any details?

Alistair,

If no one can answer your query you could try the 12 O'Clock High forum at http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php as it deals specifically with Luftwaffe matters. I've found it very useful and efficient in the past.

Should you get an answer it would be interesting to see it here.

Brian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyffe For This Useful Post:

AB64 (20th September 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for that, I've now posted the question over there too. From looking at the ORB's McCully was with 411 Squadron August to October 1942 and 145 Squadron July 1943 to April 1944

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks

Have had a reply as below - location does seem to tie in well

That stated position is equivalent to 41 6 8N, 12 56 56E which in turn corresponds to the loss of Fhj.Ofw. Günter Matthies of 2./NAGr. 11 in B 109 G-6, W.Nr. 161401, white 3. This pilot died in air combat 6 km west of Capo Circeo.

Thanks

Thanks for the update Alistair, it's always pleasing to know when a suggestion has a positive outcome.

Brian

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyffe For This Useful Post:

AB64 (21st September 2021)