Thread: Dual CGM/DFM Warrant Officer Air Gunner?

Thanks

Default Dual CGM/DFM Warrant Officer Air Gunner?

I recently got hold of a Warrant Officer Air Gunner's blouse (dated 1940) with a fairly rare ribbon combination, which has been identified as the following:

Conspicuous Gallantry Medal; Distinguished Flying Medal; India General Service Medal: General Service Medal

Are there any figures that come to mind? Surely, a CGM and DFM combination for a Warrant Officer with an entry date of 1940 should be rare?

Thanks

Default Re: Dual CGM/DFM Warrant Officer Air Gunner?

I'd grab a copy of Michael Maton's "Honour the Air Forces", it will ID the number of combinations of CGM/DFM for you, it is probably in single figures.
    cheers Pete

Thanks

Hello,

Michael Maton, in his 'Honour The Air Forces', states that there were 10 recipients of the CGM/DFM combination (one of those, Norman Francis Williams RAAF, was also awarded a bar to his DFM). Maton does not name names, he only gives bald figures ie 10/11 CGM/DFM combinations.

You have to turn to Alan W. Cooper's, 'In Action With the Enemy: The Holders of the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying) - Kimber,1986, p.197:

Appendix E - Other Awards to Holders of the CGM:

1/. Sgt G. F. Dove - DFM - 18 April 1941
    2/. Sgt A. F. Elcoate - DFM - 18 April 1941
    3/. F/Sgt E. E. De Joux - DFM - 9 January 1942
    4/. F/ Sgt G. F. Keen - DFM - 30 January 1942*
    5/. Sgt R. K. Hewitt - DFM - 13 March 1943
    6/. F/Sgt W. C. Townsend - DFM - 14 May 1943
    7/. Sgt N. F. Williams - DFM - 24 November 1942
    - .. Sgt N. F. Williams - bar - 18 May 1943
    8/. Sgt V. A. Roe - DFM -13 June 1944
    9/. Sgt S. J. H. Andrew - DFM - 8 December 1944
    10/. Sgt S. Nuttall - DFM -12 December 1944
    11/. Sgt T. W. D. Kelly - DFM - 17 April 1945

Turning to the publication, 'India General Service Medal Roll 1908 - 1935 To The RAF'. Naval & Military Press, Uckfield, ????.

On checking the listings in the abovementioned publication, not one of the CGM/DFM combination recipients receives a mention in N&MP's India General Service Medal Roll.

I have not had time to cross-check the accuracy of most of the above; so use it advisely.

* Apologies, I left Sgt G F Keen out of my original entry, as I wanted to check his details. In the India General Service Roll, there is one LAC G. F. S. Keen Service No. 370630 (George Frederick Sidney KEEN [141180]). The "KEEN" mentioned in Alan Cooper's CGM/DFM listing is, 923049 Sgt Geoffrey Frank KEEN (143588).

Simon, Thanks for the whack on the side of the head!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th September 2021 at 00:36.

Thanks

Hello

'Bravery Awards for Aerial Combat - Stories Behind the Award of the CGM (Flying)' by Alan W. Cooper has an Appendix E on page 199 which gives those C.G.M. recipients who received other awards.

The list of DFM recipients includes the ten names as listed by Col above [as originally posted], but also includes F/Sgt. G. F. Keen.

Regards

Simon

EDIT - no worries Col, any time...!
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 23rd September 2021 at 14:14.
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Col thanks for interesting point re N&MP's India General Service Medal Roll firstly do you have a copy ? Secondly what was the qualification for the India General Service Medal ? Thanks Paul

Thanks

yeoldbarn,

Unfortunately, it isn't clear which IGSM ribbon we are discussing here. Are you talking about the 1908-35 IGSM or the 1936-39 IGSM (both of which were awarded to RAF personnel, but have different ribbons)? Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, the roll for the latter campaign is not in the public domain.

May I also ask why you think a dated blouse suggests an "entry date" of 1940, please?

Rgds

Jonny

Thanks

Hello all,

Thank you for your informative comments. The blouse label is dated "1940." Perhaps, a sensible option for me to proceed is to find out who on COL BRUGGY's list joined in 1940. Also, his list doesn't include any W/Os, so I can eliminate further by finding out those who were promoted to W/Os.

Jonny, the IGSM is of the 1908-1935 variety.
    Last edited by yeoldbarn; 27th September 2021 at 14:29.

Thanks

Thanks yeoldarn. As you didn’t come back to me with regard to your thoughts on why you are following a lead on a 1940 entry (based on a clothing label), I would offer a word of caution, if I may, please. Just last week I was issued some new items of kit from the military clothing stores here at Bassingbourn. They are marked with this years’ date, however I was commissioned in 1988.