Thread: Wireless Op/Air Gunner Sgt V. N. COULL RAF/RAFVR

Thanks

Default Wireless Op/Air Gunner Sgt V. N. COULL RAF/RAFVR

Another little puzzle, I have found a Sergeant V. N. or possibly V.M. COULL serving as a Wireless Operator Air Gunner with No.78 Squadron from early 1941. However I have no service number or forenames. Sometimes the ORB records him as V., then V.N. and also as V.M., but I can find no record of him in the AIR 78 files, on the CWGC website, in the London Gazette. I have found no record of him being made a POW or of being awarded any gallantry awards. Can anyone suggest other ways to confirm his service number and forenames?

Many thanks
    Daz

Thanks

Default Re: Wireless Op/Air Gunner Sgt V. N. COULL RAF/RAFVR

Daz

I think this may be Norman McLeod COULL, D.F.C. who was with 78 Squadron, his first Op being February 6th 1941 before being posted to 405 Sqn in November 1941.

https://www.rcafassociation.ca/herit...d_all&type=all

He was born at West Hartlepool in 1914, and emigrated with his family to Canada in 1923 on the White Start Liner Doric.

His D.F.C. was reported in the Hartlepool Mail of August 16th 1944:

AWARDS FOR ’POOLS MEN
    Skill, Fortitude, and Devotion
    The King has been pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of many successful operations against the enemy, in which the undermentioned have displayed high skill, fortitude and devotion to duty.
    D.F.C. to Acting Squadron Leader Norman MacLeod Coull (109507), R.A.F.V.R., No. 405 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron. Acting Squadron Leader Coull was born in 1914 at West Hartlepool. He was educated at Duke of Connaught School and Sir Geo. William College, Montreal. He enlisted in 1939, was commissioned in 1941, and is entitled to wear the ribbon of the 1939-1943 Star.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 24th September 2021 at 12:54. Reason: typo
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wwrsimon For This Useful Post:

78SqnHistory (24th September 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Wireless Op/Air Gunner Sgt V. N. COULL RAF/RAFVR

Simon,

brilliant thank you. Another mystery solved.

much appreciated.

Daz