Thread: Hampden AE433

Thanks

Default Hampden AE433

Does our database use some sort of convention when dealing with night losses?
    AE433 was lost on "the night of" 8/9 Nov 41, as listed in the relevant edition of Bomber Command Losses.
    Does the database always us the second date? It says the loss was on 9 Nov 41:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=AE433
    However, being winter, AE433 took off at 1719, and was lost that evening, ie 8 Nov 41.
    The TNA file linked to the database says they failed to return on 8 Nov 41: http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=AE433
    The POW database also goes for 8 Nov 41 as their date of capture

Thanks

Default Re: Hampden AE433

The data is only as good as whoever 'built' it in the first place. Since most of the European losses were sourced from Henk's files, the dates are as recorded by him. Once in a while when corrections come in, I go in and correct it individually. In this case, I am assuming Henk may have used the Jim Halley's RAF Serials or Bill Chorley's BCL losses to collect the data and he used the second date whenever "on the night of" appears. The DB does not support "8/9" type of dates so we have to go with only one.

The POW DB was updated based on AIR81 records, so its no surprise that it reflects the date from the AIR81 file.

The same issue exists with CWGC.. many ac losses are recorded for the night before, and casualties are shown as dying a day later..

In the end the multiple databases that are here are linked via a common theme (in this case serial number) .. so "Your market may vary" in these searches. It gives you a one view to various different data points..

Thanks

Jagan,
    OK, thanks for the explanation.
    My question was not intended as any form of criticism. Perhaps in this case you might consider amending the "headline" date to reflect the reality.
    Best wishes,
    Andy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Marden For This Useful Post:

Jagan (29th September 2021)

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Not taken as criticism at all. I am glad you are actively using the database asking the right questions .

regards

Jagan