Thread: RAF Newcastle/Blakelaw Bunker 1942

Thanks

Default RAF Newcastle/Blakelaw Bunker 1942

In March 1942 my father flew from RAF Abbotsinch via Charters Hall to RAF Newcastle in Dominie X7372 taking a passenger by the name of Mr.Angier. Firstly as this station was basically underground other than Nissen Huts etc I cannot find any trace of a landing strip. Would anyone know if there was anything nearby or would he have landed in a field? Also I think that Mr Angier was an important figure for the RAF? as he flew as a passenger with my father almost daily through 1942 around the Scottish Isles, my second ask is whether anyone can "shine a light" on who he is/was?
    Fred

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Newcastle/Blakelaw Bunker 1942

Fred

He'd probably have flown from Charterhall to R.A.F. Woolsington (now the site of Newcastle Airport) and about 4 miles NW of Blakelaw.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Simon

Thanks for the info, as they did not return until the next day I assume that if that was the case the pilot F/Lt Hankins and my father (W/Op) would have billeted there (with the plane) whilst waiting for Mr Angier who travelled to and from Blakelaw?

Fred

Thanks

Hello,

A possibility for your 'Mr Angier':

London Gazette - TUESDAY, 4 January, 1944.

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD
    St. Jame's Palace, S.W.I.
    1st January, 1944

The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire:-

To be Additional Officers of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order:-

Norman Douglas Angier, Esq., A.R.C.S.* A.M.I.E.E.,** Assistant Director, Ministry of Supply.

* Associate Royal College of Science.

** Associate Member of Institution of Electrical Engineers.

https://thegazette.co.uk/London/issu.../supplement/61

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st October 2021 at 23:34.

Thanks

Hello Col.

Many thanks, great possibility! As I wrote earlier Mr.Angiers as passenger flew almost daily with my father and F/L Hankins through 1941/2 when it was Station Flight Abbotsinch and later in 1943/44 as 1680 Flight around the Scottish Isles and mainland bases so that "Ministry of Supply" connects to it? It was at this earlier time that they also flew with ACM Sir W.Mitchell who I ubderstand was helping with logistics/communication etc. with No.72 (Signals) Wing with the installation of new stations.

Fred