Thread: A couple of questions about Sgt. Morris Bell G.M.

Thanks

Default A couple of questions about Sgt. Morris Bell G.M.

Hello everyone

I've come across a report in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of August 15th 1941 about the award of the George Medal to 522913 Sgt. Morris Bell:

George Medal for N.E. Airman
    The King has approved the award of the George Medal to Sergt. Morris Bell, Royal Air Force, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Bell, of 10 Finchale Terrace, Sixth Pit, Fencehouses.
    “One night in February, 1941, an aircraft crashed and burst into flames. The pilot was found, with his clothing on fire, by Sergeant Bell who dashed through the flames from the burning wreckage and, with his own jacket, extinguished the flames from the pilot's clothing which was soaked with petrol. This action was performed in spite of the further danger from constantly exploding cartridges,” says the London Gazette.
    “Sergeant Bell also directed his team of orderlies and ambulances so well that the injured pilot was receiving attention in hospital within 22 minutes from the time of the crash. Unfortunately the pilot subsequently died of his injuries.
    Saved Airman
    “This is the second occasion Sergeant Bell has displayed great courage and efficiency. Previously his promptitude was responsible for saving one of the crew of a burning aircraft.”
    Before joining the Royal Air Force, Sergt. Bell was a member of the Lumley Sixth Pit Division of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, and since joining the R.A.F. has devoted his energies to first aid and hospital work within the service.

I understand he was at Leuchars in 1939, having married a girl from Cupar and wondered if he'd still have been there in February 1941 and if the incident might be in the Leuchars O.R.B. if anyone has a copy? And if the previous incident may also be mentioned?

He died in Perth in 1963 so seems to have stayed in Scotland after the war, working as a hospital board clerk.

Many thanks

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: A couple of questions about Sgt. Morris Bell G.M.

Hello,

Name and rank/position: BELL, Sgt. Morris 522912.
    Organisation: Royal Air Force. 3(Coastal)O.T.U.,R.A.F.
    Action: Attempting to save life in aircraft crash.
    Place: Near Chivenor Church, Chivenor, Devon.
    Date of incident: 18 February, 1941.
    L.G. Date and page: 8 July, 1941, p.3920.

See:
    Dragons Can Be Defeated - A Complete Record of the George Medal's Progress from 1940 to 1983.
    Henderson, G. V. G.M.
    N.P.:Spink & Son,1984.
    p.19

Probably Beaufort I L9829 (22/3OTU) Flew into hill on take-off, Chivenor 18.2.1941

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 1st October 2021 at 15:53.

Thanks

So I guessed the wrong end of the country, then...!

Many thanks Col, much appreciated.

So that could be Beaufort L9829 which crashed at around 21.40, and the rescued pilot was 741895 Sgt. A. H. S. Evans who died of his injuries the next day.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

we have researched this crash, and got the casualty file from Kew, but this is the first thing we have heard about this!

Thanks

Hello,

Andrew Harold Sargent Evans, hailed from Goodwood Park, South Australia. Born on 2 June, 1916, he was the son of Private Harold Evans, who died of wounds on 15 May, 1918, serving in the 1st A.I.F., during WWI. Andrew Evans was educated at the Unley Central School and Thebarton Technical School, he later worked for an Adelaide motor car firm. Evans went to England with his mother (Mary Ellen Evans), entering the RAF (741895), about a year before the war broke out.

Prior to his death, Sgt Evans had been "Wounded or Injured in Action". I believe the incident took place in October, 1940.

Roll of Honour - Air Ministry Casualty Communique No.53.
    The Air Ministry regrets to announce the following casualties on various dates. The next of kin have been notified.
    WOUNDED OR INJURED IN ACTION.
    Sgt. A.H.S. EVANS 741895.
    Flight. December 5, 1940. pp.480-1.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th November 2021 at 07:51.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Hello,

Andrew Harold Sargent Evans, hailed from Goodwood Park, South Australia. Born on 2 June, 1916, he was the son of Private Harold Evans, who died of wounds on 15 May, 1918, serving in the 1st A.I.F., during WWI. Andrew Evans was educated at the Unley Central School and Thebarton Technical School, he later worked for an Adelaide motor car firm. Evans went to England with his mother (Mary Ellen Evans), entering the RAF (741895), about a year before the war broke out.

Prior to his death, Sgt Evans had been "Wounded or Injured in Action". I believe the incident took place in October, 1940.

Roll of Honour - Air Ministry Casualty Communique No.53.
    The Air Ministry regrets to announce the following casualties on various dates. The next of kin have been notified.
    WOUNDED OR INJURED IN ACTION.
    Sgt. A.H.S. EVANS 741895.
    Flight. December 5, 1940. pp.480-1.

Col.
    https://www.britishmilitaryhistory.c...MUNDY-V3_4.pdf

Here is our report

Thanks

Thanks Graham and Col.

It's always good to fill in some of the extra information, I think.

I've just noticed I got Bell's Service Number wrong in my original post - it should of course be 522912.

What was the earlier event involving Bell? 'This is the second occasion Sergeant Bell has displayed great courage and efficiency. Previously his promptitude was responsible for saving one of the crew of a burning aircraft.'
    I wonder if he could he possibly have been involved in the rescue of Blatchford's gunner LAC Greenwood in L9943 just a couple of months earlier?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

No idea. No mention in Chivenor ORB of Morris being involved in either incident