Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Officer Bruce Williams Dunkirk 1940

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Bruce Williams Dunkirk 1940

I am trying to Id a Pilot Officer Bruce Williams who was involved in an incident at Dunkirk which involved him being injured

There was a Bruce Hugh Williams 68820 who was PO July 1941 from LAC 1154476 but I don’t think it is him !

Any ideas ?

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Officer Bruce Williams Dunkirk 1940

Maybe Bryan Anthony Philip WILLIAMS ( 41973).i

The first name is hard to read

Thanks

Paul

Did you see the article in the Lynn Advertiser of July 19th 1940?

If you hadn't, or for the benefit of others:

Pilot Officer Bruce Williams, who formerly made parachute descents in connection with the air service operated on the south beach for several seasons by Miss Pauline Gower and Miss Dorothy Spicer, has been recuperating at Hunstanton after a spell in hospital. He was brought down in the air fighting off Dunkirk, and rescued by a British destroyer. He sustained concussion, and his many friends will be pleased to learn that he has almost completely recovered.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 1st October 2021 at 16:23. Reason: typo
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Simon yes that is the article I was trying to get the story for ! I have the full article now but you beat me to it!

Definite Bruce

I am trying to Id this “Bruce” williams - I am interested in his prior parachute descents! Thanks Paul

Thanks

Looks like different article and date so he was an exhibition parachutist! Still would like to actually Id him!

Pilot Officer Bruce Williams, who formerly made parachute descents at Hunstanton has been recuperating there after a spell in hospital He was brought down in the air-fighting off Dunkirk rescued by a Britith destroyer. He sustained concussion and his many friends will be pleased to learn that he has almost completely recovered.

Published: Tuesday 23 July 1940
    Newspaper: Lynn News & County Press
    County: Norfolk, England

Thanks

Apparently he was known and Bruce “Bill” Williams but his actual ID still eludes me

Thanks

He's mentioned quite a lot in the local papers from as far back as 1934, including in the Lynn News of September 21st 1937:

Mr. Bruce Williams
    Mr. Bruce Williams, the parachutist, who has been operating in Ireland, piloted his private Spartan aircraft to Hunstanton on Thursday last from the North, and Friday flew back to Leeds. His brother, Mr. Richards Williams, who has spent the summer at Husntanton, has now taken up an appointment with a Lynn motoring firm.

Maybe he has a Royal Aero Club certificate?

There's a photo of him here, with some info: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...illiams-signed

A real postcard Bruce Williams Parachutist signed postcard
    A stunning postcard of the early 1930s parachutist who did aerial drops for the famous "Cobham's Flying Circus" Seen in this 1935 postcard Williams had been an actor, worked in pantomine and film stunt work. He was a contemporary of Ivor Price. In World War 2 he joined the RAF and was shot down over the Channel in 1940. His parachute skills were called upon and he joined the Parachute Training School at Ringway, Manchester. As an experienced parachutist he suggested ways of improving training for the growing numbers of aircrew and airborne forces. In 1941 he was involved with the prepartion of Special Forces night time drops intended for behind enemy lines. Following the successful raid in February 1941 Williams was ousted from his post for divulging the existance of British Airborne Forces to the "News of the World". Hardly a secret as the Italians, and their Axis allies were only too aware that such a force now existed.

He sounds a bit of a charatcer, to say the least...!!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Paul

He's mentioned in the book 'Operation Colossus' by Lawrence Patterson, who records that he had baled out of a Defiant into the Channel. He also mentions that Williams crewed as a rear gunner in Operation Colossus.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...lliams&f=false

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ssus-10-2-1941

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon now getting closer to ID him he was from Leeds had a brother Richard and Pilot his own Spartan aircraft in 1937

Thanks

I wonder ?

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/228734

L6972 (Pilot Officer E G Barwell and Pilot Officer J E M Williams).