Thread: P/O Cyril Paul de Lacy Hulton-Harrop, RAF 41585

Thanks

Default P/O Cyril Paul de Lacy Hulton-Harrop, RAF 41585

P/O Cyril Paul de Lacy Hulton-Harrop, RAF 41585, of 17 squadron, was shot down in Hurricane N2407 near Dordrecht in the Netherlands om 11 may 1940. He was made a prisoner of war.
    I am looking for information on his whereabouts after his capture, such as the PoW-camps in which he was held. It seems his family hails from Shropshire, near Telford. Any information on living relatives is also welcome. The latter via a private message for privacy reasons.

Thanks

Default Re: P/O Cyril Paul de Lacy Hulton-Harrop, RAF 41585

Hello,

From, Wires And Walls/Charles Rollings.

Oflag IXA/H, Spangenberg, April-July 1940 - A Sad and Bloody Summer:

The officers bagged in the campaign in the Low Countries and France were:
    Squadron Leader B Paddon.
    Flight Lieutenants G D Clancy, J N Leyden, R I C Macpherson, G Skelton, J W Stephens and M C Wells.
    Flying Officers D Blew, P E Bressey, R M Burns, C A R Crews DFC, W H Edwards DFC, G E Grey-Smith, D S Hoare, A J Hudson, R H Jacoby, D F Laslett, W N Lepine, M i Murdoch, A C Peach, R E W Pumphrey, A C Roberts, M H Roth, D S Thom, N M Thomas and G O M Wright.
    Pilot Officers G T Dodgshun, F Hugill, C P de Lacey Hulton-Harrop, A M Imrie, W H Lepine (duped?), E R Mullins, A W Mungovan, H M Murray, D G O'Brien, D E T Osment, I G G Potts, R J B Renison.
    AuxAF H H Taylor and J Whilton.
    Another officer, Flight Lieutenant S G L Pepys, had been in Army Co-operation...

The earliest 1940 arrivals, including Harrop-Hulton, left Dulag Luft on the morning of Thursday, 23 May and reached Spangenberg later that day. (p.83)

Hulton-Harrop, along with 29 other POWs were transferred on 10 July (1940), by train from Spangenberg to Stalag Luft I (Barth), arriving on 12 July. (p.116)

50 POWs (including Hulton-Harrop) were purged from Stalag Luft I, and returned to Spangenberg, on 20 February, 1941. (p.136)

APPENDIX II - Officers NCOs and Other Ranks held in Itzehoe, Spangenberg and Thorn, 1939-43.

Rank and name: P/O C P de L Hulton-Harrop.
    POW No: 325.
    Date Captured: 11 05 40.
    POW Camps: O9A/H, SLI (pp.232-7)

See:
    Wire And Walls - RAF Prisoners of War in Itzehoe, Spangenberg and Thorn 1939-42.
    Rollings,Charles.
    Hersham:Ian Allan,2003.
    pp.83, 90, 116, 136 & 232-7.

I advise you to take a look at the following, as well:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...php?uniq=N2405 - I know this information is at variance with most other sources, but it should be considered.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 4th October 2021 at 06:15.

Thanks

Default Re: P/O Cyril Paul de Lacy Hulton-Harrop, RAF 41585

Thank you, Col! That really helps.
    17 sqdn lost four aircraft om 11 may 1940 near Dordrecht. Two pilots were killed and two survived and became PoW's. Hulton-Harrop being one, the other was sergeant J.A.A. Luck (RAF 524114). He is reported to have been held at Stalag XXA (20A) at Torun, Poland. It is still not known where exactly they landed. Part of the area around Dordrecht was already in German hands on 11 may and they prbably landed on German controlled soil.

--
    Best Regards,
    Hans