Thread: F/Sgt. Albert DIXON 1624094 A.F.M., gazetted January 1st 1955?

Thanks

Default F/Sgt. Albert DIXON 1624094 A.F.M., gazetted January 1st 1955?

Hello everyone

I came across this airman's award reported in the Shields Evening News of January 1st 1955:

The Air Force Medal for Flt-Sgt. Albert Dixon, whose father lives at 102 Hedgeley Road, Hebburn, is a reminder that over the Christmas holidays he had one of his most exciting experiences while piloting a Canberra jet bomber over Germany. The plane got into difficulties after the crew had been called out at Wildenrath in the Ruhr during their Christmas dinner to search for the 1,371-ton Swedish ship Petra, which was later towed to port.
    When the trouble developed a radio message was sent to the air base at Sylt, where 200 airmen were also called away from their Christmas celebrations to set up landing flares and clear the runway. The Canberra landed at Sylt and later returned to its own base.
    Flt.-Sgt Dixon, married, with one child, is living in married quarters in Germany. He has been in the R.A.F. over ten years.

The incident had been reported earlier in the Yorkshire Post on December 28th 1954:

His turkey was cold
    Several Germany-based Canberra jet bombers of 69 Squadron, RAF, flew repeated sorties looking for the Petra, says a Reuter message from Bonn. One Canberra crew, called out during Christmas dinner on Saturday at Wildenrath, on the Ruhr, did not return until Sunday after making an unscheduled landing on Sylt Island.
    The aircraft was piloted by Flight Sergeant Albert Dixon, of Hedgely [sic] Road, Hebburn-on-Tyne. His wife, who lives in married quarters at Wildenrath, kept him half a cold turkey.

So, I have a couple of questions:

I've had a look at the 69 Sqn ORB for December 1954, and they seem to have been at Laarbruch at the time and it makes no mention of any Canberras being called out. What Canberra units were at Wildenrath in late 1954?

Am I right in thinking it's unlikely his A.F.M. have been awarded and gazette for this event so quickly, so this event is just a co-incidence? Do citations for Air Force Medals exist?

Oh, and he's not in the awards database on here.

Many thanks

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 5th October 2021 at 09:45. Reason: corrected service number in title
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: F/Sgt. Albert DIXON 1624049 A.F.M., gazetted January 1st 1955?

Simon, Your man's award of the AFM is in LG 40366 dated 1 Jan 55. His service number is given as 1624094. Regards, Terry

Thanks

TNA AIR/78/46/3 Image 124 R4C1 DIXON, Albert, 1624094
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you both Terry and Peter.

I do have the relevant page from the Gazette, but I just copied the Service Number incorrectly...I blame my age. Duly amended.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Simon,
    You and I (and others!) need to organise a Branch of the UOU (Union of Old 'Uns)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!