Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log book "endorsed in black ink"

Thanks

Default Log book "endorsed in black ink"

Following a crash landing involving a pupil pilot at 53 OTU a report of the flying accident states among other things that

"It is thought that this accident was due chiefly to inexperience on the part of the pilot... [...] It is recommended that his log book be endorsed in black ink accordingly."

What is does this mean? That the flight would be recorded in black ink (as opposed to? red?) because he was not to blame?

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default Re: Log book "endorsed in black ink"

Mikkel, a Paper Note is pasted in the logbook (it could be either on the page of the flight, or one of the pages at the end. ) The note that i have seen is titled as "Endorsement regarding avoidable flying accident ".. and signed by the CO of the unit.

Edit: here you go.

Last edited by Jagan; 5th October 2021 at 21:31.

Thanks

Green and Red endorsements in pilots' log books in wartime Commonwealth air forces were certainly approved methods of indicating what "the powers that be" thought of the performance of the pilot concerned in any incident, but I myself have never heard of a black endorsement. Reading between the lines (and in its context) it might indicate a rather "neutral" stance on the accident cause, probably being considered, under the circumstances, as not so bad as to justify a red endorsement. If a pilot "earned" some (or even just one) particularly bad red endorsement he might have his whole future as a pilot seriously reconsidered, or if he were lucky, a period of time spent towing target drogues, or as a staff pilot (under some surveillance) with a school or other non-operational flying unit, then a reassessment of his flying skills.

Thanks

Thank you borg for the explainations. In this instance the episode seems to have had no consequences for his career. Btw he crash landed again four months later and - while operating in North Africa - he was downed by Me 109s and crash landed. Hence, he had some experience in irregular landings :-)
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Just came across an example of Logbook endorsed in "Green Ink" (For exceptional flying preventing a loss)

https://ibccdigitalarchive.lincoln.a...158577v1.1.pdf Page 163
    Harold Blow DFC 158577

So I guess the colour coding matters!

Thanks

'Green Endorsements' were certainly still being awarded in the RAF a couple of years ago,for pilots who saved their aircraft under difficult circumstances.

Thanks

He completed his tour with 753 hours. Lordy! Also, page 55 records a highly decorated crew. Dad's last "endorsement" as Flying Assessment "Above Average Operational Pilot" It looks to me to be in black ink.

Jim

Thanks

Just to clarify Jim - a 'Green Endorsement' was given for a single particular flight where the aircraft has had a serious problem and the pilot/crew managed a safe landing under difficult circumstances.

Flying assessments,qualifications,summaries and remarks would just have been written in with normal black ink.

rgds BV

Thanks

Roger! Thanks for the clarification.

Jim

Thanks

I just had a quick look for a pic of a WW2 Green Endorsement - this one was awarded to Sgt Fred Hill of 49 Sqn

On the night of 18th January 1942 when flying Hampden AT111 Sgt Hill lost his starboard airscrew whilst descending through cloud on an operational flight. He landed his aircraft at Conningsby safely, this being a most creditable performance in view of his experience on that date.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:

Jagan (18th October 2021)