Thread: Aircrew Parachute Training - No 1 Bombing & Gunnery School, Jarvis ON, Canada Aug 43

Thanks

Default Aircrew Parachute Training - No 1 Bombing & Gunnery School, Jarvis ON, Canada Aug 43

Hello all,

I remember my Dad talking about jumping out of an Anson mock up during his training at 1 B&G. He said it was up in the rafters of the Station drill hall.

After a long search I was able to find this article “They Jump Minus ‘Chutes in New Air Force Machine” (top right hand corner of the page), from the Toronto Star that was printed on 13 Aug 43 ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d_A...w?usp=drivesdk ) . It was during this time that my Dad was on the 4th Vector Moving Target Bombing Course. He related that the scuttlebutt at the time was that there was a need for Bomb Aimers in Coastal Command.

It was the first RCAF jump simulator of its kind and was a popular and useful tool to help prepare aircrew for their duties.

He ended up never Bombing a moving target, and completed his 36 Ops tour on Halifax’s with 77 Sqn.

I thought some others may be interested.

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Default Re: Aircrew Parachute Training - No 1 Bombing & Gunnery School, Jarvis ON, Canada Aug

Interesting Mike! During one of my last conversations with dad’s navigator earlier this year and before he died, he mentioned that the Bomb Aimer had received specialized training for Coastal Command. He said that was one of the reasons my dad wanted him on his crew. Neither the navigator nor dad really got on with the bomb aimer. The bomb aimer had a pretty important responsibility for running the H2S, so called set operator, so was an important part of the navigational team.

BTW, I have dad’s notes for parachute and dinghy drill if you want them.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 17th October 2021 at 23:50.

Thanks

Default Re: Aircrew Parachute Training - No 1 Bombing & Gunnery School, Jarvis ON, Canada Aug

Hi Jim,

Thank you and yes I would like to see your Dad’s notes for both topics. My Dads log book has numerous entires about dinghy drills, and I’m interested in learning about that thanks!

I’ll send you an email.

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada