Thread: RAF Turnberry, 5 OTU ORB & Pilot G H Pullan

Thanks

Default RAF Turnberry, 5 OTU ORB & Pilot G H Pullan

Hi All, does anyone have access to 5 OTU ORB? I looking for any mentions of F/O G.H. Pullan?
    Dates of arrival not known, but he was posted to 519 `Met` Sqn from here on 5th April 1944. I would be interested to find out when he arrived at Turnberry and where he was posted in from? Any sparse entries on exercises he flew, dates, aircraft serials or letters would also be a help please. Regards Dave.

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Turnberry, 5 OTU ORB & Pilot G H Pullan

Is this your guy?

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/...AN&qnum=151496
    Flt Lt George Herbert PULLAN (151496)

Thanks

Hello,

From, Even The Birds Were Walking:

APPENDIX 4.
    Summary of Met Recce Sorties for the 72-hour period, 4-6 June 1944, D-Day (and the preceding 48 hours).

519 Squadron based at Skitten.
    Aircraft - Ventura Mk. V.
    Operations: RECIPE and RHOMBUS long-range Met sorties.

Date: 5.6.44
    Operation: RHOMBUS
    T/Off: 0556
    Down: 1030
    Duration: 4.34
    Aircraft: E/519
    Skipper: F/O G.H. Pullan
    Met Air Obs.: Navigator.

Date: 6.6.44
    Operation: RHOMBUS
    T/Off: 1209
    Down: 1709
    Duration: E/519
    Skipper: F/O G.H. Pullan
    Met Air Obs: Navigator.

See:
    Even The Birds Were Walking The Story of Wartime Meteorological Reconnaissance.
    Kington,John A & Peter G. Rackliff
    Stroud:Tempus Publishing,2000.
    p.209

See also: pp.118-120 for loss of No.519 Sqn B-17E FL455 on 1 February 1945, and dedication of monument to the fallen crew (includes a photo of Mr George Pullan).

and ...

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/cras...-wick-6-killed

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th October 2021 at 04:05.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Dave:

RAFCC Fortress book extract:

An exacting flight profile, constant changes in altitude and often poor weather conditions made it highly unlikely that Fortress-equipped Met squadron crews would make contact with enemy U-boats, let alone initiate attacks. However, on April 17, 1945, Flg Off George Pullan of 519 Sqn made what is believed to have been the only attack by a Met squadron Fortress. Pullan had taken off from Wick at 00:30 for a RECIPE II sortie in FL464 ‘B’. At 11:06 his crew sighted two wakes with ‘smoke’ – schnorkelling U-boats – at 59º50’N 03º21’W and 59º49’N 03º20’W respectively, to the north of Scapa Flow. The wake from the first sighting disappeared before an attack was possible but Pullan managed to launch his four under-wing 250-pound (113 kg) depth charges at the second. Pullan recalled:

With reference to the ‘long’ RECIPE, meaning a RECIPE in Forts, we spotted and attacked a schnorkel. No result was observed so I guess we missed it. Afterwards we were instructed to circle until our PLE [Prudent Limit of Endurance], waiting for a Sunderland to relieve us.

Robert

Thanks

Hi Robert, Col and Jagan, Thanks for the comments. I replied to these this morning but my post got deleted by accident. I have been through the 519 ORBs, but what I am really looking for is any exercises at Turnberry he was involved in? Dates, Serials of aircraft? These would be prior to 5th April 44 when he was posted to 519. Also when he arrived at Turnberry and where from? Regards Dave. PS. Yes! Jagan, F/Lt George Herbert Pullan is the same chap and I know all about the Fortress accident on 1/2/45 which is what I have been working on.